Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Is anyone here familiar with Tree Frogs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-here-familiar-tree-frogs-t255306.html)

gramma nancy 10-16-2014 05:00 PM

A tidal creek runs through our yard and we have plenty of wildlife, including tree frogs. They are generally seen on the outside of our window screens in the evening. I suspect they are in pursuit of insects attracted by the light, but I have little evidence for this since we rarely see them move.

Last winter we had something living one of the plants we brought indoors after a summer outside. Whatever it was never made an appearance, but made VERY loud sounds on rare occasions. I'd love to know what it was and I hope it does not return this winter.

mike'sgirl 10-16-2014 06:28 PM

We have a very large ( from the sound of him) frog in the bushes next to my porch. When he sounds off the bushes shake lol. We also.have the little ones on our French doors and windows. As long as they stay outside I'm fine with them.they get really loud though.

Clarice29 10-17-2014 08:17 AM

We live in Maine and we have tree frogs every spring. There must be hundreds in our woods because in the spring for about two weeks they scream every evening. How anything that small can make so much noise is amazing.

misseva 10-17-2014 10:17 AM

I have little green frogs - sometimes all over the side of my house including windows. Don't know why they're called tree frogs because I've never seen them in trees. Right now they're turning a dark brownish green and they are quite loud to be so small. I even have them on my car.

Barbshobbies 10-21-2014 02:14 PM

Love them, they make a loud noise, I got some in plants & trees I got at a nursery and the owner said they get shipped in with southern plants. He takes them home and keeps them in a big fish tank. Said they are something to watch.

tesspug 10-21-2014 03:08 PM

In 1963 my dad built a fish pond in the corner of our screened in back porch. He fixed it all up as a tropical bar/hang out. My brothers and I found tadpoles in the creek and thought we'd "stock" the pond. The next week we heard a noise and walked out to find hundreds of tiny frogs in the patio. Mom made us catch them all and take them back to the creek.

jeanne49 10-21-2014 04:47 PM

I've never seen tree frogs around here and really glad - those types of critters freak me out.

lass 11-05-2014 11:05 AM

We have them here in NC. I love the sound. It means spring is coming.

Kathryn Garcia 11-06-2014 06:30 AM

How I chuckled when I read your post! Here in Bermuda we have tree frogs galore! They sing us to sleep every night, especially when it rains! Tourists ask us what kind of bird sings at night here? Our little itty bitty frogs would fit on the top of your pinky finger nail, but their song will blast you out of your chair! Oh how I wish I could send an audio of our choir of tree frogs!