Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone into GeoCaching? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-into-geocaching-t159415.html)

blzzrdqueen 10-10-2011 09:48 AM

This is something that was recommended to me by a Facebook friend.

Since Hubby and I got new smart phones a couple weeks ago that have GPS, we decided to give it a try this weekend, and all I have to say is it is the most fun thing inn the world (next to quilting)!

It's something our little 4some can do together, although it is difficult with a 3 year old. We logged one cache on Saturday, 5 yesterday and are going to get a DNF from yesterday tonight after DH gets out of work. TOo many muggles around to make the grab so we think it'll be muggle free this evening. I have to say I am addicted!

So...any other GC's out there??

magnolia 10-10-2011 10:06 AM

I have done this. It is a lot of fun. Haven't had time lately though.

Candace 10-10-2011 10:09 AM

We do it too.

Mad Mimm 10-10-2011 10:12 AM

I have a great time geocaching with my quilty friend. She has the GPS though so I tag along with her. We get ourselves into some very odd places searching - and boy do we get mad when we can't find it!!! :) It is a fun activity to do with young kids - gets them outside and on the hunt - we take along a picnic lunch and stop at the park to eat. Makes for an inexpensive outing and lots of fun.

My favorite cache was near a fire station. The paramedic came out and told us they were all sitting in their kitchen watching us bird-dog around in the garden below. We would not let him tell us where it was though - even if it was nerve-wracking to know a bunch of firefighters were watching us!

kuseta 10-10-2011 10:17 AM

It's something I want to try. I've looked into it and found there are several around the places we normally go, so that would be the obvious place to start. Hoping the tech part of it will interest my teenage boy and I know the scavenger part interested my tween daughter.

Glad to know you all find it a great family fun activity.

blzzrdqueen 10-10-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm
I have a great time geocaching with my quilty friend. She has the GPS though so I tag along with her. We get ourselves into some very odd places searching - and boy do we get mad when we can't find it!!! :) It is a fun activity to do with young kids - gets them outside and on the hunt - we take along a picnic lunch and stop at the park to eat. Makes for an inexpensive outing and lots of fun.

My favorite cache was near a fire station. The paramedic came out and told us they were all sitting in their kitchen watching us bird-dog around in the garden below. We would not let him tell us where it was though - even if it was nerve-wracking to know a bunch of firefighters were watching us!

We had one yesterday that would have been our 6th find, in a park, at the edge of the woods, in a small decon canister...but for the life of us we could not find it and muggles were coming and going, making it more difficult. We finally gave up after searching for a whole hour!! We will go back for that one soon.

Quilty-Louise 10-10-2011 10:25 AM

My husband and I use to do a lot of caching. We started
in the summer 2001.
But 4-1/2 years ago when I started having problems with
my neck it became more difficult for me to enjoy going
out when I was in so much pain.
Since than I have had 2 neck surgeries and still do not
feel up to caching.

On the other hand it was through caching that we met our
"furkids" Dr. He is a great vet.

blzzrdqueen 10-10-2011 10:32 AM

I was just looking at my map for some quick and easy caches...I came across a puzzle cache...we have not attempted one of these...I don't even know where to start? Any tips for solving to get coordinates?

GwynR 10-10-2011 10:47 AM

I have done this a bit with my husband. It is fun, especially when the kids go along. For my daughters 18th birthday party, we turned it into a 2 day hunt for what we hid. That was a lot of fun to plan! She had to to everything in order to get the next clue! DH geocaches a lot by himself because he loves to drive me to new quilt stores or to classes and this gives him something fun to do while I am inside! He gets really aggravated when he can't find one!

carslo 10-10-2011 11:01 AM

I used to do this with my Girl Guides aka Girl Scouts when I was a leader in Canada. It is a lot of fun!