Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone from Seattle or thereabouts--Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-seattle-thereabouts-help-t250281.html)

mickey 07-17-2014 05:24 AM

Anyone from Seattle or thereabouts--Help

we will be traveling to Olympia in September and need to know what kind of footwear would be best worn.. we were told that September is usually rainy and be prepared. can you help recommend footwear and where to purchase, other options? Also, can you recommend places to go and QUILT shops too.

thank you for any help mickey

MaryStoaks 07-17-2014 08:39 AM

I almost always wore tennis shoes when I lived in that area. If I were that close to Vancover, Wa ,I would try my best to shop at Connecting Threads.

Three Dog Night 07-17-2014 09:04 AM

I live north of Olympia and September is usually nice weather (Indian Summer). Most of us Western WA residents live by the rule "if you don't like the weather just wait 10 minutes, it'll change". Tennis shoes are always good but you will probably want sandles too, best advice is be prepared - it can get in 70s during the day but temps will drop in evening. Right now we are having temps in upper 80s but only high 60s in evening so be prepared. Can't give you advice about quilt shops in the area as I haven't visited any down in that area, I have had people tell me that Bayside Quilting, which is in Olympia, is excellent.

Debbie Ness 07-18-2014 06:46 AM

I have a friend in Washington and when I visit she takes me to Yelm where there a fantastic quilt shop. LOTS of fabric. I can't remember the name, but its right as you come into town. Never miss a chance to go there.

rainagade 07-18-2014 07:30 AM

Yelm, has Gee Gee's fabrics right on the main road, you can't miss it. I also vote for Bayside in Olympia. The Wild Rose in Orting is worth a look too.

dahlshouse 07-18-2014 07:32 AM

Gee gees is the store in yelm.. Ruby street is in Tumwater.. Sisters is in Centralia.. Great places

Tudey 07-18-2014 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks (Post 6805199)
I almost always wore tennis shoes when I lived in that area. If I were that close to Vancover, Wa ,I would try my best to shop at Connecting Threads.

Connecting Threads no longer has a brick and mortar store. I was up there several years ago (5 I think) and was so disappointed to discover they had closed the store.

mickey 07-18-2014 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Three Dog Night (Post 6805240)
I live north of Olympia and September is usually nice weather (Indian Summer). Most of us Western WA residents live by the rule "if you don't like the weather just wait 10 minutes, it'll change". Tennis shoes are always good but you will probably want sandles too, best advice is be prepared - it can get in 70s during the day but temps will drop in evening. Right now we are having temps in upper 80s but only high 60s in evening so be prepared. Can't give you advice about quilt shops in the area as I haven't visited any down in that area, I have had people tell me that Bayside Quilting, which is in Olympia, is excellent.

Thank you very much. We normally were tennis shoes but were afraid that we would need some kind of shoe just for the rain. Lots of rain we were told. so thank you for this information.

we will be staying in Lacey and will have limited mobility. So if the shops are to far away we cannot mange to get there this time. maybe the next visit.

Thank you everyone for you help

blessed be
mickey

SewExtremeSeams 07-18-2014 09:32 AM

Tennis shoes are perfect. Lived East of Seattle for over 30 years and that was my favorite for winter (unless snow is on the ground) or summer. September is usually a very nice Indian summer type weather. Personally, I didn't ever feel it rained quite as much as its reputation. :D:D:DMore like lots of cloudiness. Enjoy your stay.

coopah 07-19-2014 05:22 AM

Not so much rain unless you're going at the endof September. I always regretted that school began in September instead of October, because September days are mostly glorious with sun and clear skies. It truly is "God's country" in September (August, too, and late July, usually). Tennis shoes or some kind of sport shoe is fine. You'll fit right in with the locals! Don't know about the quilt shops near Olympia, though.