Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone with Uber experience? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-uber-experience-t302494.html)

SusieQOH 01-23-2019 04:58 PM

Anyone with Uber experience?

Hi friends,
Today I had my first Uber experience. It was a very long day with my son, Mom, and all kinds of stuff in our large city. I have trouble driving on freeways. I get really panicky. So I took an Uber home.
What I didn't expect was the price- 23.50. For some reason I thought it was a lot cheaper. And I gave him a 5.00 tip, which I wanted to do. So it was almost 30.00
I only took it one way.
Experiences?
Thanks

hcarpanini 01-23-2019 05:09 PM

I had an 8 minute ride to the airport. It was $13.00 plus tip.

sewbizgirl 01-23-2019 05:26 PM

I would think a nasty smelling cab would cost even more...

quiltingshorttimer 01-23-2019 06:07 PM

I've tried but can't ever get the app to work for me--have ridden with SIL though and it worked fine, was cheaper than the taxi, too.

tallchick 01-23-2019 06:11 PM

Usually it should give you a estimated cost. I’ve used it a few times and I knew the ballpark price before they arrived, never had a problem.

Watson 01-23-2019 06:12 PM

The price of Uber depends on when it is and where you are going. It isn't constant. If you are riding in the off hours it can be pretty cheap, but if you're going somewhere during a busy time to a busy spot, it can get expensive quick. That's when it is likely cheaper to take a cab. They have set rates.

Watson

SusieQOH 01-23-2019 06:27 PM

I did get the cost up front. I just thought it would be cheaper. It was rush hour, which may have something to do with it. The car was immaculate and the drive was fine. I think it is definitely a good idea in many cases.
I don't know where I got the idea that it was cheap.

CurliQ 01-23-2019 09:20 PM

Cost versus benefits. I'd pay that to relax with my loved ones after a nice day on the way home.

tuckyquilter 01-23-2019 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8198648)
Hi friends,
Today I had my first Uber experience. It was a very long day with my son, Mom, and all kinds of stuff in our large city. I have trouble driving on freeways. I get really panicky. So I took an Uber home.
What I didn't expect was the price- 23.50. For some reason I thought it was a lot cheaper. And I gave him a 5.00 tip, which I wanted to do. So it was almost 30.00
I only took it one way.
Experiences?
Thanks

I have used Uber a couple of times. It was a bit cheaper than a regular cab. They texted me a photo of the driver, car and estimated cost.

cashs_mom 01-23-2019 09:40 PM

My only problem with Uber is what happens if there is an accident? Do the drivers carry extra insurance to cover if you are hurt badly? The minimum requirements in most states aren't going to cover the cost of something like life flight or even a complicated injury.