Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone use a non-contract phone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-use-non-contract-phone-t249897.html)

T. 07-11-2014 07:57 AM

I have the "GO" phone too. It costs 20 cents per text, doesn't matter if you send it or receive it. I don't text either, but once in a while someone got the wrong number, text you & you have to pay. It's very annoying. I may have to break down & do a plan, because it seems like the kids don't talk anymore, they will only reply to text.

Prism99 07-11-2014 09:55 AM

Regarding texting, it just occurred to me that if the texts are always to/from the same people it makes a lot of sense to get Whatsapp. This is an app that allows free texting world-wide. I have it but never thought to use it except for people outside the country. You do need to have a smartphone in order to be able to download the app, plus those you communicate with need to download it too.

KarenR 07-11-2014 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by AliceQ (Post 6795976)
I've had Trac Fone for years. I use an app for free texting because my children and grandchildren and friends text. They don't call! When I HAVE to add any talk/text/data time it only costs me about $20.

What is the app you added?

nwm50 07-11-2014 03:03 PM

I have metro PC.....unlimited everything for $40 a month.
But u need to know which ones works best in your area to be happy with your pick

annie123 07-12-2014 03:01 AM

I have had Straight talk for a few years now and it works fine. It has unlimited texts.

DebbieBrei 07-12-2014 03:43 AM

Tracfone

Originally Posted by KarenR (Post 6796468)
What is the app you added?

Where do you buy the apps? I have a tracfone and love it but I can't figure out how to add apps and where I would get them from. Thanks for your help.

Deb

sparkys_mom 07-12-2014 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 6795973)
Is it just me or does paying $50 a month for a phone seem like a lot?? Plus the purchase of the phone??

Nope, it is NOT just you. Has anyone seen those ads where the couple goes crazy over the "great deal" of $160/month for a family of four? Excuse me, I think that is a LOT of money!!

I've been following this thread because everyone gives me a hard time about not having a smart phone. I've had a Tracfone for years. It sits in my purse, turned off, and I use it when I need to use it. It doesn't work inside my condo but I've noticed a lot of people have that problem here. (I also don't get tv reception without cable.) I can imagine that I would LIKE a smartphone and be able to do all the stuff everyone does with theirs, but I just don't get paying a small fortune every month for the privilege, not to mention the initial cost of the phone.

ghquilter53 07-12-2014 04:56 AM

I think trac fone now has month to month plans too. Check their website.

Busy Quilter 07-12-2014 06:48 AM

I have a Virgin Mobile (runs off Sprint) and love it. It's a smart phone and monthly fee is $55. I bought the phone there are several to pick from at Best Buy.. I've been using this for one and half years.

GranJanNM 07-12-2014 06:56 AM

I have Verizon cheapest smallest phone...only want it for emergency use. Pay in advance, add $$ as needed OR by the expiration date. I always pay $30 and that buys 3 months before next expiration date. I figure $10 a month a bargain, for the emergency use.
My balance hovers around $200 because I seldom use it. I get texts which I think costs 10¢, but not sure. This works fine for me, an older senior citizen, who still drives.