Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Appliances in Cahoots (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/appliances-cahoots-t253520.html)

romanojg 09-13-2014 03:01 PM

I so agree with you. I haven't been able to use my microwave for about a month because of water leaking thru the roof due to crappy work from my ex and no money to fix it yet. My cabinets are coming off the wall so unusable. Then my little freezer, only a few yrs old crapped out and I lost all of my food. Now my washer is messing up and the warranty has expired. Its so bad that I went to buy a yogurt maker and had to make three trips to the store to finally get all the parts that came with it and that I needed to run it. I just ordered a new microwave that will be here in a week so I'm praying it'll be ok. Oh yeah, my electric lawnmower also died and I hadn't been able to cut the grass in two weeks due to the heat and rain so I get a notice from the city. He said someone with too much time on their hands complained. That was the first time in over 20 yrs. Really hard keeping the faith when it all seems to be going the other way. Good luck to you and I hope it gets better.

Nammie to 7 09-13-2014 06:08 PM

Didn't happen recently but I was on crutches and my husband in a body brace when the air conditioner went out then the stove developed a gas leak and had to be replaced. That was the summer from heck! We buy a water heater when the one being used gets to be 7-8 years old so when it decides to conk out we aren't frantically looking for a new one. That worked well about 2 years ago -- it died on a Sunday afternoon and we already had a new one in the garage!

OldHairTwister 09-13-2014 08:27 PM

They just don't make appliances to last anymore. In 1973 I went to Sears and bought a microwave (they were quite the new thing back then) It was big and heavy so in the early 80's I bought a new more compact one for my kitchen and took the old one to my beauty shop to warm up lunches etc. Well guess what? It is 41 years old and still warming up our lunches every day!! I have lost track of how many replacements we have had at home since then. Everything is made to be throw away now days:(

romanojg 09-14-2014 04:45 AM

I totally agree. My first washer lasted for over 20 yrs. It would still wash when I retired it. I only retired it because when it was moved to build in my laundry closet, the outside cabinet broke loose from the frame. It made a big noise when you used it but it worked great. My first microwave I used for over 20 yrs. I too bought it in the 70 and paid a fortune for it. About 15yrs into it, we replaced the number pad and eventually I gave it to my son when he got his new apt. Things are made to be exposable today. Even if they last like computers, the software gets outdated and not supported but the new software isn't compatible with the old machine so you are kind of stuck. Most things I buy additional warranties if given the option, unless its under 100, then I don't bother.

Mousie 09-23-2014 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6884969)
Sometimes I think our appliances are in a conspiracy to conk out at the same time.

My computer died, then our son's TV quit, and now our microwave oven is acting weird and not heating things properly.

I had a new Super Wave, probably used a dozen times...it conked out.
Came to figure out, too many things plugged into the same outlet.
Probably not your problem at all, but want to save someone else the disappointment!
Sorry, bear...these are not cheap appliances!