Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Aprons - I thought this was lovely -- and true (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/aprons-i-thought-lovely-true-t82736.html)

iamjanet 12-14-2010 06:36 AM

Remember making an apron in Home Ec? Remember Home Ec? If we have to explain "Home Ec" you may delete this. I just don't have the energy anymore. Read below.

The History of 'APRONS'

I don't think our kids
know what an apron is.
The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few and because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons required less material. But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing
hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears. From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.
When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.
And when the weather was cold, Grandma wrapped it around her arms.
Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.
Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.
From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.
After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.
In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.
When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.
Send this to those who would know (and love) the story about Grandma's aprons.

REMEMBER:Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill
to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.

I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron - but love..

bearisgray 12-14-2010 06:38 AM

Still true

erstan947 12-14-2010 06:40 AM

Gotta love aprons:)

susiequilt 12-14-2010 06:42 AM

I do remember both my grandmother's aprons!

timepasser 12-14-2010 06:45 AM

Oh I can see my Grandma now just like she was still here. Thanks for the memories

raptureready 12-14-2010 06:54 AM

I'm fortunate enough to have a couple of my Grandma's aprons. She had a bunch of them because she put a clean one on every day and sometimes would change them throughout the day. Her's were the full aprons with the bibs. Mom preferred the half aprons. Women also used to use their aprons as a belly cover when they were pregnant. Unless you were really wealthy or someone in your family died you didn't have maternity clothes because you didn't go out into the public during the last several months of pregnancy. Women would wear button front dresses, unbutton them around their expanding bellies and put an apron on to cover the gap. Usually they'd wear two, one to do all the above mentioned things and one to keep their belly covered.

Isn't it funny now how every thing says "weight limit xxx lbs"? Back then if you could carry it, an apron would hold it. From wild flowers and apples to newborn lambs and baby piglets.

carhop 12-14-2010 06:57 AM

i bought an old one just like my grandmother always had on have it hanging in my sewing room

lovingmama 12-14-2010 06:57 AM

Thanks for sharing it is lovely and true.

raptureready 12-14-2010 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by lovingmama
I don't think the aprons where so special, it's the grandma's.

Will we still find grandma's like this nowadays. With generations raised to watch tv and play playstation. With people not having time to spend to talk to each other, other than texting on the phone.

Where elderly people get mostly pushed aside, because there is no place in my big house. Because I'm not willing to clean out my Comp. room and make it a bedroom. Or sewing room as a matter of fact.

What happen to lets bake a pie from scratch, lets play a board game, lets put everything aside and just talk?

Do you ever think about how many lessons of life they can teach us?

I hope the grandma style apron "pattern", gets never to old or forgotten.

I would love to have an apron like the ones described, but with a granny attached to it. May be one day, I will be a grandma like this too.

Thanks for sharing it is lovely and true.

LOL Todays grandmas are wearing spandex and heading for the gym, getting tats and riding motocycles, dancing till dawn and going on cruises. Good luck on finding one that will wear an apron.

Well, okay, some of us are quilting.

CarrieAnne 12-14-2010 07:18 AM

thanks for sharing!