Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Aromas/scents and memories (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/aromas-scents-memories-t302410.html)

Boston1954 01-21-2019 08:11 AM

My father loved the smell of burning leaves. Whenever I smell them, I think of Dad. Also when my mother made Sauerbraten, the scent would go through the entire house. Every time I make it, I go back to my home. (in my mind)

Jo Anne B. 01-21-2019 08:44 AM

Thanksgiving turkey, Sunday dinners roasting in the oven. Pine Sol when mom cleaned, coffee and oatmeal every morning. Fresh baled hay being loaded into the barn.

bearisgray 01-21-2019 09:00 AM

pea silage, barn, sauerkraut fermenting, wet dog, -

i also remember strawberries ripening in the sun, old fashioned roses, bread baking-

dh used to use aqua velva- hmmmmmm!!

nativetexan 01-21-2019 10:04 AM

PineSol cleaner. yuck. for decades that smell make me ill.

ekuw 01-21-2019 11:16 AM

"Scents are my most proliferative memory engine"

Mine too. The smell is really fresh, might be some type of laundry soap or fabric softener. When ever I smell it, and I do periodically, it reminds me of my Grandmother; even though I know it wasn't her perfume. She herself did not smell that way. It brings me back to a specific time and place at her house, in the summer in Northern Michigan. I always ask the person if they are wearing perfume, etc and I always get a different answer. For the life of me I can't put a name to the scent. Other scents that trigger memories are other outdoor scents combined with the the way the light is or temperature; might be a slight whiff of wood smoke or rain. Besides that certain songs can bring me back to an exact time and place.

Macybaby 01-21-2019 12:18 PM

When we bought our current home (125 year old farmhouse in serious need of repair) I walked in the door and it immediately reminded me of my Grandma's house, and felt like "home" from the start.

When we remodeled the entry way, we found a lot of mold and rot in that area. No wonder it reminded me of Grandma's house. We'd go in the back door and you could either walk down the steps into the basement or up a few steps and through the door to the house. So the smell that was always first to hit you walking into Granny's house was musty old basement. The rest of her house usually smelled like what ever she was baking at the time.

crafty pat 01-21-2019 12:40 PM

My DM always had Honeysuckle vines and the smell always takes me back to my childhood.

nativetexan 01-21-2019 12:50 PM

I should say i like the smell of hot chicken noodle soup. always have, always will. nice.

tranum 01-21-2019 01:08 PM

* Shredded red cabbage with a bit of sugar, water & vinegar simmering long on the stove (Grandma’s House - yummy)

* Home permanent solution (awful smell but had to endure it when Mom gave us permanents)

* Popcorn at our hometown movie theatre

* Climbing into bed with sheets & pajamas dried on the clothesline (Mom hung them out even in winter & brought them in frozen to finish drying)

madamekelly 01-22-2019 12:57 PM

The smell of turkey cooking. It always reminds me of the times I lived with grandma, and all the holidays we spent at her house. That and her chocolate cookies. Mmmmmmmm!