Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Arthritic hands and gloves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/arthritic-hands-gloves-t256630.html)

coopah 11-11-2014 07:41 AM

Arthritic hands and gloves

My mom is really suffering with arthritic hands. She does a lot of knitting for charity and some hand quilting for family. At almost 87 years, it's hard for me to see the hurt that she goes through to do something she enjoys. We have tried the creams, lotions, OTC meds. Nothing helps consistently or for an extended period of time. So I've seen the gloves advertised with magnets and others with copper in them. Has anyone tried them and do they work? Thanks for any helps, suggestions.

nativetexan 11-11-2014 09:33 AM

well not magnets but i used to use the stretchy gloves without finger tips and they did help to sew with. Keepsakequiltng.com may have them. good ones. the spandex style help a bit and warmth of the gloves too. I wish her luck. seems one must keep trying until something works for that individual. I use aspercreme on my thumb joints that helps.

cathyvv 11-11-2014 10:28 AM

God bless your Mom for continuing despite the pain!

Has your Mom seen a rheumatologist? If not, then that is the first step to getting help.

I have a prescription gel called Voltaren gel. It is an nsaid, so should always be used sparingly, especially by someone who is 87! Having said that, it works fairly well.

I have friends who use the wax baths for their hands and swear by them. That might be a good place for your Mom to start. You can get the wax baths in any price range your want, from low to high, but the concept is the same no matter which one you get.

Good luck!

crafty pat 11-11-2014 12:05 PM

I have RA and have had injections in my hands at times and that helps best. I am having trouble this Fall and I am using the gloves with the fingers free but have not had any luck with the ones with copper or magnets. I have used the wax baths but the pain does not stay away long I have better luck soaking my hands in water as hot as I can stand and exercise my fingers under the hot water then wrapping them up to hold the heat in longer when I take them out of the water. Sleep in full gloves, orders from my Dr. If she has not seen a good rheumatologest find one as there are so many new med's out there that do wonders. I am unable to take anything but methotrexate but it has kept me from having my hands get disfigured. It helps with the pain so very much. Good luck to her, I hope she finds help soon.

MarLeClair 11-11-2014 03:25 PM

I use the spandex gloves without finger tips. Not sure where I found them. I also soak my hands inEpson Salts and water when really bad. I hate to say but the only thing that really helps is to rest them.

NJ Quilter 11-11-2014 03:49 PM

I use hot water/epson salts for my arthritic feet and it does help tremendously. Not sure the epson salts really do anything but they don't hurt. I'm thinking it's really just the hot water. I start with water as hot as I can possibly tolerate - even if just dipping in for a couple of minutes at a time till it cools off some. Then keep my feet in the hot water until it cools. After really horrible days on my feet, it does allow me to walk across the room at a tolerable pain level and then the next day makes things much more tolerable.

Suzanne57 11-12-2014 10:04 PM

I found the fingered and fingerless spandex gloves at www.collectionsetc.com the direct link is http://www.collectionsetc.com/compre...es/search.aspx I use them when I can't get my hands warm and they hurt.

quiltingcandy 11-12-2014 10:21 PM

My sister swears by her copper and magnets - she has bracelets of both. She has been using them for years.

Geri B 11-13-2014 06:32 AM

Walmart sells chewable glucosamine condroitin reasonably....might that help......

coopah 11-13-2014 10:06 AM

Thanks for the ideas...now to decide which to choose first! I knew you gals would be able to help! :wave: