Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Atlernative activity to camping needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/atlernative-activity-camping-needed-t137024.html)

KimmieH 07-12-2011 07:18 AM

oh we did that one year with our kids....it was beautiful...would love to go back some day

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
After we got older, we no longer tent camped but still did tent camp in Yosemite Valley. The park service rents big cement floors/walls with tents covering the tops. We used to take a tiny covered trailer behind our car or Scout, and would stay a week at a time and loved it. It had a wood stove and a huge metal, bear proof food locker. We and the kids all loved it.

ontheriver 07-12-2011 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
How about a cabin in a park? Several state parks in Ohio and Indiana have cabins to rent.

I have done this a few times and it was great. Once we got a cabin at Chewalaca state park in Auburn, AL and it was beautiful, hardwood floors, stone fireplace, deck overlooking the lake, full stocked kitchen. There were hiking trails leading to a series of small waterfalls where you were able to wade and play in the water. State park prices are very reasonable.

hannajo 07-12-2011 10:09 AM

Here's another option besides ground camping and having an expensive camper. My car is a Honda CRV. It's set up for "car camping." Meaning the front seats lay completely back, level to the back seat. It makes a reasonably-sized sleeping space for 2 people. And in the floor of the back, there's a fold-out table. It's a smaller SUV, so there's a good amount of cargo space. Not the amenities of a camper, but you're not sleeping on the ground. I imagine there's other cars/SUV's are set up like this as well.

emerald46 07-12-2011 10:27 AM

Some of the state parks have wonderful cabin facilities. We've stayed at DeGray State Park in Arkansas several times. It is known as a resort State Park. They even have a beautiful hotel/lodge there. I am sure there are others in various states.

Izaquilter 07-12-2011 11:15 AM

a small 5th wheel. It's not expandable, has beds for everyone & you would not regret it. If you love camping a tow behind camper is well worth it.

Jingle 07-12-2011 11:41 AM

I would just lay down until the mood passed. I am not a camper of any kind, I have done it, could not make sense of it.

Murphy 07-12-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
Tent: authentic camping, cheap, portable, primitive, eco-friendly AND you'll be glad to get back home. :lol:

I love tent camping as well. They have air mattresses that are easy to inflate and it is a wonderful way to travel (IMH) - smile.

kjdavis4 07-12-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by KimmieH
a nice resort hotel, with your own hot shower, and preferably a goose down duvet, room service & clean pool :)

just sayin...

My thoughts exactly. I'm not really the person to ask, camping to me is a hotel without room service!! LOL Good luck though

wolfkitty 07-12-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by KimmieH
a nice resort hotel, with your own hot shower, and preferably a goose down duvet, room service & clean pool :)

just sayin...

I'm with you, Kimmie!

boxerlady 07-12-2011 02:40 PM

We just sold our hybrid camper. We have decided to stay in motels. Camping was fun, but we have decided it is just too much work.