Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Australian Fires (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/australian-fires-t232796.html)

Tartan 10-19-2013 02:46 PM

Australian Fires

​I hope our QB members from Australia are not near Sydney where the fires are raging.

nativetexan 10-19-2013 03:54 PM

OH my, I hadn't heard. That time of year again? It seems fires never stop.

lynnie 10-19-2013 07:14 PM

it seems that it wasn't so long go last year. what a horrible mess to worry about. hope all are safe

janedee 10-19-2013 08:09 PM

there have been at least 200 homes lost in an area in the Blue Mountains, NSW - the fires are much earlier this year, I am sure I have seen some members from the Blue Mountains, but it is a vast area so hopefully they are all safe, in case you were wondering, I have been following this story closely as my youngest daughter lives close by!!

busy fingers 10-19-2013 10:47 PM

Thank you for your best wishes to all those in the bushfire areas.

The area which is the hardest hit - the Blue Mountains - is my favourite place to visit. I feel very saddened for all those who have lost all their life's hard work and of course for all the lovely native animals. We are living with the constant smell of bushfire smoke and an awful orange glow in the sky.

They have over 1000 personnel trying to fight the "savage beast" that is just raging out of control. As well as the very high temps we are also experiencing extremely strong hot gusty winds which are whipping up the flames and spreading the fire. A very sad and worrying time for all.

We are desperate for rain.

Teacup 10-20-2013 03:58 AM

So very sorry your area is experiencing this. I know the entire community must be very concerned.

jitkaau 10-20-2013 03:59 AM

There is a lot of smoke in the air and it is difficult to breath. It was difficult to drive in the early morning with the combination of smoke and fog obscuring vision, and in the midst of all of this, the moon has been a brilliant orange colour and the sun a fiery dazzling orange-red ( only more-so). It is really beautiful in an eerie way. The kangaroos have been spooked. One might see one or two dead at the side of the road in my area but this morning I sighted ten...very sad. I used to live in the area that is worst hit and have been through similar times. Now friends near me are housing families of friends who have lost their homes. My place is too small but we can all help with transport and clothing etc as these guys often don't have any ID with them. Any disaster victim will know the position. Many thanks for your kind wishes for all.

Crqltr 10-20-2013 04:41 AM

So sad...prayers to all in the line of this fire . It's heartwarming to hear that others are doing so much to help those in need.

mjhaess 10-20-2013 05:29 AM

Yes..We need to pray for them....

mighty 10-20-2013 06:33 AM

I saw that on the news, look terrible!!! I haope everyone there is ok!!!