Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Baby Shower help.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/baby-shower-help-t247819.html)

Woodster 06-03-2014 03:36 AM

Baby Shower help....

My middle daughter is having her first baby in September - a girl - , and I will be co-hosting her shower with her co-workers. Does anyone have any unique ideas for activities? I've gotten a few things from Pinterest, but you all are so clever and creative, I wanted to check in with the Pros!! Thanks in advance for your input!!

Maggiemay 06-03-2014 04:46 AM

I just hosted one for my niece & got most of my ideas from Pinterest too. I did a "Price is Right" game- guessing the price of small items & prize to the one who was closest to the total, items going to the baby; guess the jellybeans in the bottle; Write down baby names beginning with letters A-Z in under 2 minutes (I'd adjust the time to less because a lot of people finished); writing silly messages on diapers. Most of these we did while milling around & visiting & that was nice. I was at a shower this weekend & they did a "he said/she said game where they had a bunch of quotes & we had to guess which one of the couple said it. I was stumped about games for my shower but they all went over well & we didn't spend overly much time doing them.

dd 06-03-2014 05:14 AM

When I did my daughter's, I had her walk around with a tray full of objects. That's all I said, she will be coming around with a tray full of objects. Pay close attention to her. Then, being pregnant, she put the tray down and said I have to pee and ran from the room. While she was gone I asked questions about her, not the objects on the tray like everyone thought I was going to. Everyone loved that one. Was her hair up or down? Was she wearing dress or pants? Heels or flats? Was her hair colored? Did she have makeup on? Things like that. PM me if you want the full list. Five years later we are planning the next one.

quilt1950 06-03-2014 12:07 PM

I bought a variety of sizes on onesies, paint, stencils, iron on transfers, etc. and had everyone decorate a onesie for the baby. Everyone enjoyed it, and my daughter got some cute clothes for her son. To keep my cost down, I bought the onesies at a consignment store. My daughter knew I was doing that, and was ok with it. Consignment store seem to have an abundance of infant clothing, most of which is in really good shape.

Woodster 06-04-2014 03:25 AM

Thanks, ladies! Great ideas! I really like the one with the objects on the tray. Did you have a prize for the most remembered things? The onesie idea is a good one, too. I've also thought of headband construction as an activity, too. This is going to be mostly co-workers, so I'd like to keep them busy so they're not talking work the whole time!

dd 06-04-2014 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Woodster (Post 6743957)
Thanks, ladies! Great ideas! I really like the one with the objects on the tray. Did you have a prize for the most remembered things? The onesie idea is a good one, too. I've also thought of headband construction as an activity, too. This is going to be mostly co-workers, so I'd like to keep them busy so they're not talking work the whole time!

Yes, I gave a prize for the most remembered. It's funny what people think they remember. What are you doing for prizes? Like I say, we are working on shower for #2. Never know what to give for prizes. Gift cards are good.

Rose Marie 06-04-2014 05:41 AM

A cute thing at one I went to was a pin made of flannel that was givin to each person when they arrived. It was a diaper and the one with the mess inside got a prize. It was just mustard.

bearisgray 06-04-2014 06:52 AM

When attending a shower, I prefer the game time to be kept brief.

If giving prizes, I prefer to get something useful - a box of tissues, even a roll of toile paper - I appreciate more than another refrigerator magnet!

mommessy 06-04-2014 08:12 AM

We had a drawing at my daughter's shower to win a $10 gift card. We put a blurb in the invitation that if you brought any size pack of diapers you would be entered in a drawing. We actually pulled three names and gave away three $10 gift cards to Panera Bread. We Also asked in the invitation to bring a children's book or baby book instead of a card and to sign the inside of the book. Everyone did it and my daughter has quite a collection of books to read to the baby!

misseva 06-04-2014 10:36 AM

I guess it's just me but I hate games at showers. My first baby shower was a get together with all the couples we ran around with and we just had fun eating and visiting & dancing.