Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Baking soda issue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/baking-soda-issue-t224501.html)

Wildernessties 06-25-2013 10:04 AM

Baking soda issue

I thought I'd share this humorous/frustrating thing I discovered earlier today. I went to take my extra box of baking soda out of the cupboard only to discover that it was a Fridge-and-Freezer Pak!! I know I had to have picked it up in the baking aisle so this was quite a surprise! It says on the box that it is not recommended for baking because of the ingredients! I definitely purchased it for baking but rather than toss it out, I've put it in my fridge :-)

I will chalk this up as one of my senior experiences and hopefully by pointing it out, it may save you the frustration of making the same mistake.

nativetexan 06-25-2013 10:10 AM

tell your grocery store people that too. they put it in the wrong isle to me.

jollyquilting 06-25-2013 11:29 AM

I am really learning new things, never knew:p

jillnjo 06-25-2013 11:51 AM

Never heard of it! Hard to believe it is different from the baking kind. I can tell you something baking soda really helps and that is to put a little in your towel load each time you wash them and it takes out the "smell" that towels can get even after washing them carefully. I put it in the pre-wash section.

Jingle 06-25-2013 12:41 PM

News to me,seems it doesn't keep the frozen green peppers from making the freezer stink.

Quiltbeagle 06-25-2013 12:50 PM

It's regular baking soda just in a different package and you can use it for baking. It's only AFTER using it in the fridge that it shouldn't be used for baking, not because it's dangerous to eat but because of the odors it absorbs would make your food taste funky. Nothing like chocolate chip cookies with a hint of onion...ack! LOL

Wildernessties 06-25-2013 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle (Post 6143283)
It's regular baking soda just in a different package and you can use it for baking. It's only AFTER using it in the fridge that it shouldn't be used for baking, not because it's dangerous to eat but because of the odors it absorbs would make your food taste funky. Nothing like chocolate chip cookies with a hint of onion...ack! LOL

On the box it says "while Fridge-N-Freezer contains pure Arm & Hammer banking Soda, we do not recommend it for baking as the granulation is designed specifically for deodorizing. After use, pour down the drain to freshen."

hopetoquilt 06-25-2013 05:35 PM

I also use baking soda to clean the toilet and as an abrasive cleaner and also with vinegar to clear slow moving drains and for a multitude of other things. It will not go to waste, but it is frustrating when you need to bake and don't have e right thing.

barny 06-25-2013 05:45 PM

I notice a lot of things I'm picking up now days that I didn't want. Like crackers with no salt on them. Lite dressings. I don't like them. Stuff put back in the wrong place by CUSTOMERS WHO DECIDED AGAINST IT. Empty candy wrappers, someone's little one ate the insides, and they don't pay for it. But stores will put their brand, the same color wrapper against the popular one, so I pick up the store brand when I wanted a different one.

piepatch 06-26-2013 03:13 AM

My son once did the same thing when I asked him to pick up some soda. It said it is not for baking, and I was not about to use it for that, so we put it in the fridge. I am too fussy about my baking to use something that clearly says "Not for baking"!