Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Banking Fraud Alert (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/banking-fraud-alert-t256210.html)

Krystyna 11-02-2014 05:57 AM

Banking Fraud Alert

Just a heads up in case this happens to you.

A few days ago I started getting recorded phone calls allegedly from Bank of America saying that my debit card was compromised. I played the message back and noticed that they were asking for a name I didn't know, the last four digits of a card that wasn't mine, and they provided a code to enter. This sounded very fishy to me so I called the bank's number on the back of my card and asked them if they were familiar with the number. They told me that it was an example of phishing.

Later in the day I got another call from them and I decided to navigate their system without giving any information. They kept asking for PINs and account numbers for an entire range of banking products from checking through retirement funds and offered the options of saying the numbers. I kept saying fraud and got nowhere with that and just hung up. I then blocked their number.

So ... beware! Lots of tricksters out there.

ManiacQuilter2 11-02-2014 08:44 AM

So many scams out there!!

NJ Quilter 11-02-2014 06:22 PM

Tis the season, I think. Very sad that people prey on others this way and sadder still that some folks fall for it.

fayeberry 11-03-2014 07:10 AM

Thanks for the alert. Good to know.

Doggramma 11-03-2014 07:16 AM

Thanks for sharing the scam alert - always good to know.

I got a call from Apple asking if I was trying to purchase a $1700 computer in Indiana. That wasn't a scam, but a real fraud. Thank goodness they called me and I cancelled the credit card this person used. It's enough to make you want to cancel all credit cards and bank accounts and go back to hiding your money under your mattress.

shasta5718 11-03-2014 10:35 AM

I have found that if you get a call from someone like that you hang up and call the institution it is supposed to be and ask if they really made the call. Better safe than sorry.

margied 11-03-2014 10:47 AM

I couldn't get to my account online today - Bank of America. I tend to think they might have "issues". Since my account is there I am a little concerned. My DH said on facebook there were a lot of people saying they were not able to get on.

LuckyGemini 11-03-2014 01:53 PM

I Have only used cash since April 2011. During this time my brother has had at least 18 fraud charges on all sorts of accounts. I have had no trouble at all. Cash is the safest in this day of electronics....

lwbuchholz 11-07-2014 03:43 AM

There have businesses here that have been compromised too. Just another warning. Backup backup and backup. I had a encryption virus get In to my computer and encrypted all files and I can't get into them any more an have lost all m photos I m praying that someone will find a way to unlock these. But I wish I had backed up all this.
Lynda

mjhaess 11-09-2014 08:55 AM

My B of A card has been compromised three times in the last 6 months..They keep sending me new cards but It worries me that this is happening so often..