Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   barcode shows where it's made (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/barcode-shows-where-its-made-t37208.html)

Ditter43 02-17-2010 10:04 AM

690-692 … then it is MADE IN CHINA .
00 - 09 … USA & CANADA
30 - 37 … FRANCE
40 - 44 … GERMANY
47 ... Taiwan
49 … JAPAN
50 … UK

BUY USA by watching for "0" at the beginning of the number. We need every boost we can get!

sharon b 02-17-2010 10:59 AM

Do these apply to everything produced or just certain lines of products ? Good to know :lol: Thanks for sharing

littlehud 02-17-2010 11:17 AM

I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.

BellaBoo 02-17-2010 11:51 AM

I found this info:

....There's more than one kind of bar code in use around the world. UPC bar codes, the type most commonly used in the United States, do not typically contain a country identifier....

I think every product should have the country it is manufactured in but even if it's made in one country the stuff it's made from probably comes from another country.

Lisanne 02-17-2010 02:58 PM

This is very good info to have! But I too would like to know which product barcodes it pertains to.

By the way, for food there is a law that if it's NOT from the US, the country of origin MUST be on the packaging or label. The thing is, with some products from other countries, they put the US distributor's name and location in easy-to-find, easy-to-see type, and then practically hide the country it came from on the back or bottom, in very tiny print.

If there's no label saying it's from elsewhere, you're supposed to be able to assume it was grown (animal as well as produce) in the US - but of course there's always the possibility that the label just didn't get put on.

I'm also skeptical about processed foods. I've called a few manufacturers, and they swear that all their ingredients are from the US or they'd have to say otherwise on their packaging. But I'm sitting here looking at a bag of Hershey's chocolate (guiltily), and we all know that chocolate does not grow in the US. It may be processed here, but those cocoa (or cacao beans) are imported. So if Hershey's doesn't say it, then all the spaghetti sauces and frozen dinners, etc. probably do the same thing...

By the way, the barcode on the Hershey's bag has the little 0 at the start, but the main numbers start with 34. Somehow, I don't think it comes from France.

Oops, oops, and I just noticed it says it was manufactured in Canada!

zz-pd 02-17-2010 03:05 PM

thanks for sharing!

amma 02-18-2010 12:50 PM

Thank you :D:D:D

I do notice that many of the boxes, bags and such do say things like "assembled/processed in the USA" which translates into made/grown/manufactured in other countries, put together/baked/processed in the USA :wink: