Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bats??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bats-t63598.html)

Favorite Fabrics 09-07-2010 05:12 PM

While DD was leaving this morning for her first day of school, as she went out the front door she noticed an odd sound... somewhere between the chirp of a bird and the twitter of a chipmunk. And it seemed to be coming from behind a shutter on our front porch.

So I unscrewed the two screws at the top of the shutter and pried it away from the wall a bit, and sure enough, there were two tiny charcoal gray furry lumps there. One that apparently was suffering from insomnia.

Has anyone else had bats in their shutters?

erstan947 09-07-2010 05:23 PM

Bats in my shed.....does that count?

Moonpi 09-07-2010 05:23 PM

Years ago, I lived in an old Victorian that had bats in the attic. I realize they eat a lot of mosquitoes, but they still are not one of my favorite critters. They can squeeze into tiny spots, so it is hard to keep them out once they establish a home. One in particular, I used to have to open a window for, and chase out with a broom!

sewmuchmore 09-07-2010 05:34 PM

Place a fake owl on your porch. This may keep them from coming back.

cjomomma 09-07-2010 05:39 PM

Bats are a good thing to have around. Call animal control and see if they can do something about it. I wouldn't mess with them myself.

Favorite Fabrics 09-07-2010 05:57 PM

I don't think I actually MIND them being there behind the shutter. I know they're useful, and it's not like the cats or the kids can even get to them, once the shutter's screwed back on.

I don't think they will cause any problem. I just can't figure out why the one was so noisy this morning!

Are they sensitive to weather maybe? We just had a dandy line of thunderstorms move through.

lynnie 09-07-2010 05:59 PM

in our trees out front. when my son (20) was little about 2, i would take him out at night to watch the bats and sometimes get him icecream to watch the bats and rats in the harbor

crawford1219 09-07-2010 06:25 PM

We have some bats around the house but I really wish we had more! They eat mosquitos and we have tons of mosquitos on our property for some reason. My youngest son and I cannot even go out into the yard without being eaten alive-abd we do not even have any water around us. We have a lot of trees so I guess this is why we have so many but Jacob and I can be covered in Off Deep woods or Skin So Soft green can stuff which everyone swears works best and can still get lots of bites on us. I really hate it because we have two huge decks and a beautiful property and I would love to be able to sit out on the deck and relax but we can't be out for 5 minutes without getting bitten alive. My fiance and my oldest son do not have this problem-they rarely get bitten.

grammyp 09-07-2010 06:28 PM

Our neighbor had them in his walls. Hard to get rid of, but if you put up a bat box perhaps they will use it and stay out of the shutters.

nativetexan 09-07-2010 06:44 PM

Ewww. not yet. my friend in Houston found her kitten in the atrium playing with a bat that turned out later to be Rabid. both her cats were put on quarantine for about two months!