Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   because that's the way I was taught to do it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/because-thats-way-i-taught-do-t289920.html)

bearisgray 07-26-2017 06:52 AM

because that's the way I was taught to do it

I know I've used that phrase -

but I am now wondering if I may have been balky/stubborn/unwilling to try something different - that may or may not have worked better than "that's the way I was taught to do it".

Are you in the "willing to try to do it differently" group -

or

Are you in the "this works, why should I even try to do it differently"? group?

An example - when I was learning how to do word processing (way back in the 1980's) - it actually was not all that easy - I much preferred typing on my good old Selectric with the correcting tape or correcting fluid when I made a mistake. I still have fond memories of that Selectric! I really thought I had come up in the world when I got one that could go from 10 to 12 pitch. And we had copying machines!

Ever try to correct an error on four or five carbon copies?

(I am dating myself here!)

I think it is good to know - or know of, anyway - more than one way to do something. Sometimes one has to adapt to what is available.

For example -

If I don't have a word processor and printer available, I just might have to resort to using whatever is available to leave a message or mark. Pencil on paper. Lipstick smear in a trunk of a car. A scratch or bite on an assailant. A signature stitched in fabric.

While our nephew was dying from/after an accident (long story), he scratched a heart in the dirt, with a few letters to leave a message for his family that he loved them.

"because that's the way I was taught to do it" - it's a phrase that does make me cringe - and wonder what one might be missing if one is unwilling to try a new method or consider a new idea.

MarionsQuilts 07-26-2017 06:57 AM

I'm in my mid-40s and I hear this all the time, and yes, I cringe too.

Times change, methods evolve and I think it's sad that some people aren't willing to try out new things. Besides, if you give it an honest effort, and still don't like it, then you an go back to the old "tried and true" method.

QuiltnNan 07-26-2017 07:38 AM

i'm willing to try to do it differently. sometimes i'm surprised that i like the new way better

marge954 07-26-2017 07:45 AM

I just had a laugh at your question. I love trying trying new ways to do things and DH is the exact opposite. This has made for some frustrating moments in our marriage!

SusieQOH 07-26-2017 08:17 AM

I know what you mean. I don't always like trying something new ( not into change that much) but I'm often surprised by it! So yes, I am willing to try things differently. I just told you awhile back that I'm going to give your binding method a go! :)

Kitsie 07-26-2017 11:01 AM

If the new way makes sense to me I'll try it!

quilt1950 07-26-2017 11:28 AM

I helped lead a major project at work, and we actually refused to allow people to say "but we've always done it that way". It's such a stumbling block to progress if people refuse to entertain new ideas.

lynnie 07-26-2017 01:24 PM

i'm always willing to listen or try. you never know, it could be a short cut.

helou 07-26-2017 02:28 PM

I need to try all kind of different ways otherwise I easily get bored. there are so many ways to do one thing... as for driving, I like to take different roads to go to places I go often otherwise the road seems so longgggg... I guess I believed who ever said: "All road leads to Rome"....

Jingle 07-26-2017 03:22 PM

I am always trying new ways, methods or whatever. I am always looking for a faster, better. If it doesn't work as well as I usually do it, then I don't use it. I am 72, always willing to learn something new.