Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Being cheap. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/being-cheap-t322385.html)

Onebyone 01-31-2024 04:26 PM

Being cheap.

Why do some say Because I'm cheap I ..... It's like it is a badge of honor to wear proudly but to me it seems sad. I can't imagine feeling good about being cheap just to be cheap.

bearisgray 01-31-2024 05:02 PM

I think there is a difference between
being cheap
Being a penny pincher
Being frugal
being careful with spendingl

I also think there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive and bargain-priced.

I usually think " cheap" Is a negative description of something or someone.

somoquilter 01-31-2024 07:53 PM

We all like to get bargains. When we find the fabric we love at an astounding price, we are proud of it! So, we may call it cheap in that instance.
I don't know. Just throwing stuff out there. :)

sewbizgirl 01-31-2024 10:47 PM

I don't call myself cheap, because I'm not. I am thrifty, but if I find something a little pricey that has great value to me (or as a perfect gift), I will buy it and be happy to have found it. I'd rather have less GOOD stuff to use, than tons of junky stuff.

mengler 02-01-2024 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8634470)
Why do some say Because I'm cheap I ..... It's like it is a badge of honor to wear proudly but to me it seems sad. I can't imagine feeling good about being cheap just to be cheap.

If you are cheap you withhold spending regardless of the consequences such as being cold for not paying gas bill cheap. However, if you like a bargain and save money when you can that is frugal. Frugal us a positive word.

aashley333 02-01-2024 05:58 AM

That's what I say! I'm not cheap, I'm frugal!! Cheap implies not paying your fair share. We have a friend that develops T-Rex arms when the bill arrives--too short to ever reach for the check!!

cjsews 02-01-2024 07:27 AM

I consider myself conservative. I do not shop just because I have a coupon. Some lesser brand items are fine. But, I also do not mind spending a bit more to get quality items that will last

Onebyone 02-01-2024 07:30 AM

Cheap is a personality that I stay away from. The ones I call cheap won't spend the money to buy what would be beneficial to them because they can make do with something not as beneficial. I don't have to be as frugal as I use to be but I still like to find a bargain.

DJ 02-01-2024 07:32 AM

I don't care for the term. I like to say "frugal", but truly, some people really are cheap. And I'm not really either, especially where fabric is concerned. I do like to get a good deal, but if I like it, I'm fortunate that I can usually (and often do) buy it. LOL

Onebyone 02-01-2024 07:45 AM

Frugal is no where close to cheap. Everyone should be frugal according to their situation. Cheap is Ebenezer Scrooge.