Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bernina 830 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bernina-830-a-t113395.html)

darlin121 04-04-2011 12:47 PM

Congratulations on your find! Those are nice machines.

Feather3 04-04-2011 01:32 PM

You'll find a printable manual here:

http://www.berninausa.com/news_detai...i2238-sUS.html

alleyoop1 04-05-2011 03:34 AM

Wow! How fortunate you are. The 800 series are expensive machines. First of all, take it to a Bernina dealer for a cleaning and to make sure everything is running properly - since you said it was banged up some. Second, check out the Bernina USA web site. You should find classes there that will help. Congratulations and may you two have a long, happy relationship.

willowwind 04-05-2011 03:48 AM

I hope you're referring to the old 830. I don't know of anyone who would give away a machine that costs $12,000 like the new version does. I have a new one & love it.

Cathy S/Willowwind

Buttons922 04-05-2011 04:17 AM

Also I got a lot of my feet, manual etc from ebay for this machine.

SandyMac 04-05-2011 05:15 AM

Thanks one and all I now have a manual printed off the site and will be getting a case and feet from ebayI have a Janome That I love but I think this is going to be a second love.Thanks again to all of you for your help and support. Sandy

Judie 04-05-2011 06:17 AM

I too have an old Bernina 830. It is a wonderful machine. Sews like a top. I bought mine new and have sewn around the world a few times on that machine. How very lucky you were to have one fall in your lap! I have my original manual and know that machine front to back.. I think you may be able to find what you need, but if you can't find the printed material some of us on here can help you out.

KarenBarnes 04-05-2011 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by SandyMac
I got a Bernina 830 for free the gal was going to get rid of it so she told my husband he could just have it.It's a little bit dirty and banged up but sews perfect. the only thing is it didn't have a manual with it and can't seem to figure out how operate some of the buttons and dials. If anyone happens to have a manual ,case, our extra feet please let me know i'd be happy to buy them I can't believe she was just letting the kids play with it on the porch and was going to toss it .I'm such a lucky person. It's called a Bernina 830 Record Electronic. Thanks Sandy

You're going to love this machine! I inherited my G'mother's! I've had mine for 5 years and I find out new things all the time on it! Lucky you to get it for such a good price! Mine was valued at around $700-800.

Icandothat 04-05-2011 08:52 AM

I love my Bernina.

kellen46 04-05-2011 09:05 AM

I have a old style 830 mechanical that I bought over 35 years ago and it still runs like a champ. I have a new 440ee that is a computerized model but my old 830 which is now in semi retirement is still a valued friend. You have a great machine on your hands. Take it in to the shop, any good repairman can work on a mechanical machine. Get it cleaned and tuned up, you will not regret any expense. Now the feet for this machine have a different way of attaching to the post so you need to specify that it is the older model when buying. You really don't need that many but a good walking foot is a must. You can use any feet with a low shank if you buy the adapter which is not spendy. It gives you more options for use. You only need one adapter as it is usable on many feet. I used mine with feet I bought off of Nancy's Notions. You can use it with a generic walking foot as well. The bobbins are not different from old to new. I still have the manual so if you need me to make a copy of it just PM me. I can scan it and send you a PDF of it for you to print out. Congrats, you have a machine that is a real work horse and will sew forever.