Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   black out lining for window (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/black-out-lining-window-t145402.html)

siss 08-15-2011 12:35 PM

i have made rod pocket curtains for my grandson and lined them, but they do not block out enough light.
i am going to make seperate black out lining curtain and put on another rod.
my question is, do i make them just the width of the window plus a couple inches or make them fuller like the curtains.
they live 1 1/2hours away and i would like to make them here before i take my grandson back home wed.. he is only 14 mts. old.
i'm sure this is a dumb question, but any help would be appreciated.
thanks to everyone in advance.
siss

Cyn 08-15-2011 12:43 PM

I would just make them a couple inches wider than the window to cover all the light. My husband was a Marine heliocopter pilot and had to sleep some days to fly at night. We used these and it was great.

raedar63 08-15-2011 01:32 PM

oops double post

raedar63 08-15-2011 01:32 PM

Redneck here put foil over her windows till I discovered the best sleeping mask in the travel section at walmart :)

bjeriann 08-15-2011 01:51 PM

My DH was on midnights for 18 yrs. I cut the heavy blackout fabric a couple inches larger than the window and used my staple gun and stapled it to the sides of the window frame. Our room was so dark that when I woke up I didn't know if it was day or night.

Enchanted Quilter 08-15-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn
I would just make them a couple inches wider than the window to cover all the light. My husband was a Marine heliocopter pilot and had to sleep some days to fly at night. We used these and it was great.

Just make them a couple inches wider if you gather them it lets in light. I made them for my daughter because of migraines/ I also have them on the south side window of bedroom to keep the heat out.

jansquiltn 08-15-2011 03:15 PM

Are you sure that you want it that dark. Could confuse the internal clock. I am not sure that I would do that definitely don't want to be kept up at night.

Willa 08-15-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by jansquiltn
Are you sure that you want it that dark. Could confuse the internal clock. I am not sure that I would do that definitely don't want to be kept up at night.

Have to agree with jansquiltn. I also wouldn't want the child to only be able to sleep in the dark.

siss 08-15-2011 05:25 PM

i thought by putting them on seperate rod she could change it up, open sometimes and closed sometimes. also would help keep out the heat/cold. west side window.
thanks everyone for your input.

Jim 08-15-2011 07:59 PM

thanks for the idea...my wife wants them for all our bedrooms...putting them on adjustable rods...we can use them when we need too or remove them easily