Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   bluebird nest thief--Not my cat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bluebird-nest-thief-not-my-cat-t289046.html)

farmquilter 06-18-2017 03:59 PM

bluebird nest thief--Not my cat

While in my kitchen today I was watching the bluebird house and what do I see but a House Wren enter the box.
Two days ago the nest had another set of eggs in it, the Wren took out some nest materials and flew away. Came right back to the nest, it had a bluebird egg in it's beak and flew away with it. Went straight out to see if any eggs were left-NO. But on the new hardware cloth cat protector was fresh yolk, that goofy wren is the problem and not my cat.
Male house wrens will go about making nests everywhere, until a female finally says yes to start a nest. I was shocked to see this wren destroying the bluebird nest and the eggs.
Just hope the blues will come back, as I will keep the wren away as much as possible.

Jingle 06-18-2017 06:22 PM

Don't if we have wrens or not. I don't really know many bird names. I always thought they were small birds. Beaks would too small to hold any size egg in them I could be wrong.

lynnie 06-18-2017 06:35 PM

i know of other birds doing that. sad in a way, but it is nature.

Tartan 06-18-2017 07:45 PM

Do research on the correct size hole for a bluebird birdhouse.

QuiltMom2 06-19-2017 02:26 AM

Interesting about a male wren building a nest wherever. That explains the wren family residing in a flowerpot on our deck. Guess I was too slow in getting the planters filled this year!!

coopah 06-19-2017 05:03 AM

For the first time this year, I saw a cardinal going after a bluebird near the bluebird house. We were away all day Saturday and came home to see a hawk sitting on top of the bluebird house! Fortunately the bluebirds fledge before dawn, so there's hope that the hawk was too late for a meal.

farmquilter 06-19-2017 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7846816)
Do research on the correct size hole for a bluebird birdhouse.

The house hole is perfect for the bluebirds but the wren is so much smaller than the bluebirds. The hole for a wren house is just over 1" and for the bluebirds it is 1 1/2", so no problem getting in.

jingle, it was the wren that I saw it with the shell in the beak flying off, can not mistake a pretty blue egg shell.
The wren was putting sticks/twigs in my open front Saturday paper box. Around here the wren uses twigs to make the nest, nothing soft at all like the bluebirds are using.

Diannia 06-19-2017 06:56 AM

I think the blue jays are taking our Dove eggs...sigh...

Eva Knight 06-19-2017 01:57 PM

House wrens are a mean bird. They will destroy and even kill the female blue bird if it doesn't leave the nest when the wren attacks.

JoyjoyMarie 06-21-2017 11:48 AM

Does anyone know how to preserve a whole birds egg? I found a beautiful blue one when I was just walking across the lawn the other day, with no birds or nest nearby. I would love to save it and put it in the nest I kept from last years winter cleanup. I tried once before on a real egg, and it exploded in my garage one night. We had a big laugh later, when we figured out what made the big noise out there.