Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bowl cozy troubles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bowl-cozy-troubles-t249833.html)

Purl 07-09-2014 05:12 PM

Bowl cozy troubles

So many wonderful tutorials and patterns out there, but shopping for the required batt has been difficult. All agree one needs 100% cotton for use in a microwave-and that used to be Warm Tators. For some reason the supplier has discontinued it. After some time on the computer, I found they have temporarily replaced it with Warm&Plush. It has no poly scrim but is thicker than the recommended batt. Yesterday Joann's sold me a small batt of Warm and Natural Needled cotton batting as 100% cotton. When I got home in better light, I saw tiny print on the bottom of the bag's back that said 12.5% polypropylene! Makes me concerned about buying things at a craft show to be used in the microwave. Any thoughts?
Purl

QuiltnNan 07-09-2014 06:33 PM

too many of my acquaintances have told me which batt they use and it is not 100% cotton. i'd never buy the bowls, etc. i would only use one that i've made myself.

Miz Ellie 07-10-2014 03:30 AM

Bowl Cozy Batting

Originally Posted by Purl (Post 6793513)
So many wonderful tutorials and patterns out there, but shopping for the required batt has been difficult. All agree one needs 100% cotton for use in a microwave-and that used to be Warm Tators. For some reason the supplier has discontinued it. After some time on the computer, I found they have temporarily replaced it with Warm&Plush. It has no poly scrim but is thicker than the recommended batt. Yesterday Joann's sold me a small batt of Warm and Natural Needled cotton batting as 100% cotton. When I got home in better light, I saw tiny print on the bottom of the bag's back that said 12.5% polypropylene! Makes me concerned about buying things at a craft show to be used in the microwave. Any thoughts?
Purl

At my Joann's they have what is called "Wrap-N-Zap". It says on the bag Microwave Safe and 100% cotton. It is 45" by 1 yard. That's what I use for my bowl cozys.

vickig626 07-10-2014 04:02 AM

you don't need the specific warm tater batting. It just needs to be without any fillers. I use the Warm & Natural 100% cotton without fillers or scrim. So far, so good. I also created a little instruction sheet for customers that explains the fabric, batting, thread is 100% cotton (that's key). Then I instruct to only heat for 2 minutes at a time, let it cool down then continue another 2 minutes until item is hot enough. I've tested this and it works fine.

hope this helps !!

dd 07-10-2014 04:15 AM

I used the Warm and Natural in the potato bags, which I love. It was ok a couple times. Then one time I had scorching and threw it away. Bought the wrap n zap but haven't used it yet. Would flannel work? Maybe a couple layers?

trolleystation 07-10-2014 03:08 PM

I have used worn hand towels and bath towels. LHS also suggest 80/20, Used this for mine and have no problem.

ManiacQuilter2 07-11-2014 08:26 AM

I haven't kept abreast of the newest and the latest batting, but if a batting has scrim, it has poly in it. Hobbs has always been honest with their ingredients.

Dottie Bug 07-11-2014 07:13 PM

Could you use flannel 100% cotton use double layers DottieBug

Onebyone 07-12-2014 06:54 AM

It depends more on the microwave then the type of cotton batting. I use warm and natural batting and the holders never get hot. One thing to remember is the holders are never meant to be heated more then a minute in a high wattage mircowave. My microwave gets liquid steaming in about one minute, food reheated in about 30 seconds. A low wattage microwave takes longer to heat so the heat builds up slower in the holder.

applique 07-14-2014 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Ellie (Post 6793972)
At my Joann's they have what is called "Wrap-N-Zap". It says on the bag Microwave Safe and 100% cotton. It is 45" by 1 yard. That's what I use for my bowl cozys.

I also use the Wrap N Zap for bowl warmers. According to the company the warm and natural 100% cotton batting is actually only 87.7% cotton. I wouldn't use it or sell them made with it.