Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bread Machine Help...please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bread-machine-help-please-t175255.html)

bakermom 01-13-2012 10:17 AM

As many have pointed out- keep the salt away from the yeast. it will kill it.
Breadmaking is not that hard, with or without a machine. but, as with many things, you need to get a feel for it and that only comes with practice.
I am a baker by trade, and even in a bakery there is the occasional "oops" when a batch just doesn't come together right.

carolynjo 01-13-2012 11:31 AM

I would say to make sure your bread flour is room temperature and the yeast as well. Also check the expiration date on your yeast. Do not have your liquids too hot. Put in the machine in the order suggested in your manual. Other liquids should not be too hot either. Check your loaf after the machine has begun. It it looks dry, add water a Tablespoon at a time. It if is too wet and gluey, add 1 Tablespoon of flour at a time. Good luck.

huntannette 01-13-2012 12:07 PM

yess make sure your yeast is not outdated...

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching (Post 4870120)
Maybe you got som old or bad yeast. I've never heard of "bread machine yeast" I buy my yeast at a place called Gordon Foods, not sure if thats a nationwide chain but we have a lot of them. Its like a buy in bulk place the yeast is cheap.
As the other gal said, buy a small bag of gluten and add a tablespoon per loaf using regular AP flour.
Is your water too hot? Add an extra tablespoon of sugar if you are having troublle with rising.
good luck!

overdew 01-13-2012 01:13 PM

No one can do anything with yeast that is old. It ruins the whole thing. Try new yeast.

littleone 01-13-2012 07:49 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is correctly measuring ingredients. Ensure your cups and spoons are true; (think 1/4 inch seams) all cups are different. (tupperware has very good measuring cups/spoons). DO NOT scoop the flour out of bin with the measuring cup, the flour gets compacted resulting in too much flour. Always scoop the flour into the measuring cup and level off with knife.

Sherryquilts 01-13-2012 08:46 PM

I must be really lucky - I am on my second breadmaker in about 20 years, and the only time one of my loaves failed was when I forgot to put in yeast....that made a rock. But I do use 'regular' ingredients - half to 3/4 of the flour is whole grain - a mix of whole wheat, oatmeal, cornmeal, whatever I feel like adding and the rest is all purpose flour, but I always add gluten as well and honey for sweetener, no fresh milk or egg because I usually put all the ingredients in the pan in the evening, plug it in and set the timer before I leave for work at 5:30am, to have a warm fresh loaf ready for supper. Now I think I need to go make a loaf of bread!

athomenow 01-14-2012 12:29 PM

I've just starting using the bread machine for sourdough bread. I've made two loaves and the second one turned out pretty good. It's a Betty Crocker recipe I found online. I might try letting it rise the second time and bake in the oven. The crust does get pretty hard in the machine. I have a Welbit that I bought at the GW for $10. It was new in the box so I hope to have it for a long time.

ScubaK 01-14-2012 12:40 PM

Ok! I am trying a new loaf today and recording exactly what I did and what I used. Lets see how this turns out.
K

BellaBoo 01-14-2012 01:38 PM

I just put a double recipe in my bread machine. I'll post a picture of my bread when it's done.

ScubaK 01-15-2012 12:14 AM

My loaf turned out well. It wasn't as browned on top as I like but I'll take it.
I did add a few extra teaspoons of water when the dough was still in a crumb stage. Also added some dry milk powder and Vital Wheat Gluten. I read that bread flour has more gluten (read that in this thread, so thanks).
I will have to try again.
Kirsten