Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   brine the turkey? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/brine-turkey-t85665.html)

luckylindy333 12-29-2010 06:42 PM

We always use a cooking bag. I don't know if you can get them in France, but that is the way to go! You don't have to brine, just pop it in the bag and follow the directions. The turkey always comes out moist. You won't get the crispy skin, but in my way of thinking, it is more important that the breast is not dried out. My son also injects the bird with butter and herbs that have been through the blender.

I don't like all that extra sodium when you buy a brined bird. You might think that is funny when we inject meat with butter, but people are funny, aren't they? :-o :-o :-o

Bea 12-29-2010 07:46 PM

I have brined my turkey for a couple of years and thought it was great. However, it does add extra salt to the meat. Since my daughter is on dialysis, she requested that I don't do it that way when she is coming. It has really screwed up her salt intake. Something for us all to think about. Do we really need the extra sodium?

trisha 12-29-2010 08:52 PM

After stuffing the bird and giving it a butter massage, I melt butter and honey and inject the bird all over, I also use chicken broth to help baste it. Try and hide the crispy skin from everyone else. I figure I made, I can have it. LOL

dixiechunk 12-29-2010 09:08 PM

Best turkey I ever baked was using Alton Brown's (the Food network) method of brining before baking. It was excellent. If I was cooking for a family I would definitely do it again. I am sure you can find the instructions by googling.

mcar 12-30-2010 04:36 AM

I find an unbrined turkey to be dull in taste.Now that I am older I buy mine ready to put in the oven. I just love the honey brined turkey sold at Wegmans store on the East Coast.

HisPatchwork 12-30-2010 10:51 AM

We brine our turkeys before we smoke them. Usually put them in overnight. While they are in the smoker we usually brine several chickens for about 2 hours and then put them in the smoker. They do not take as long, so we take them out and freeze them. Then when we want one, we put it on the rotisserie to finish it off. The brine we use is for a large turkey soaking in a 5 gallon bucket. {kept solely for brining} For each 5 gallon bucket we use 6c white sugar, 1 lb dark brown sugar, and 1 box of table salt {1 lb 10 oz} We have done it this way for at least 20 years. MMMMMMMMMMMMM

chichimamma 01-03-2011 04:12 PM

I soak my turkey overnight in salt water I have a big roasting-canning pot it holds the turkey I leave it in extra refrigerator. Then i melt butter and inject it in to turkey and rub it down with crisco after I've dried it off. It turns out mosit and a pretty golden color oh! I use a turkey roaster bag also.