Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   burp clothes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/burp-clothes-t254253.html)

meyert 09-23-2014 04:11 PM

burp clothes

I have never made burp clothes before, but I have left over fabric and I think I am going to. When I look at videos on YouTube they all use terry cloth fabric for the back. While I understand that would be awesome for absorption, I really don't want to spend any more money. Do you guys use terry cloth on your burp clothes? I am wondering if I could just use a towel I have and put it in the middle of my flannel layers. That way it would be hidden (because it would not be the right color) and the absorption would still be there.

Any thoughts?

busy fingers 09-23-2014 05:12 PM

I have made many burp clothes over the years and I have always just used flannel on the back. They are absorbent and the flannel does not slip from your shoulder.

PenniF 09-23-2014 06:23 PM

All the ones i've made used store bought cloth diapers with colorful scrap flannel "binding" added....but i would think your idea would work just fine.
PS....GREAT avatar photo !!!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-23-2014 06:29 PM

I used flannel leftover from a receiving blanket and scraps of warm and natural batting. They seem to work fine.

susanlh 09-24-2014 05:23 AM

I have made burp cloths using both prefolded diapers and bar towels from big box store. My daughter and her friends all love the towel ones over the diapers. They say that they wash and dry easier and absorb better. I don't use the diapers any more. That's the new moms opinion.

Nammie to 7 09-24-2014 06:03 AM

I use two layers of flannel with nothing inside. The two layers are absorbent enough.

Diannia 09-24-2014 06:34 AM

I do the same as Nammie...2 layers of flannel.

meyert 09-24-2014 07:35 AM

whew! thank you for your replies.. I just want to use what I have I don't want to spend any more money. I have enough flannel left to make 4 or so (depending on the size). I never really thought about batting.. I bet I have some scraps of that in my bin... a burp cloth would be a good use for that

lalaland 09-24-2014 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use terry cloth (or a towel would work) on one side and cotton on the other, and I'll tell you why. My SIL asked me to make some for friends that were having babies so I made 3 sets, each flannel on one side and cotton on the other. Since they were the first ones I had made (I don't put an extra layer of fabric or batting between the layers), I asked my SIL to get input.

All 3 gals said the flannel was not very absorbent, when it got wet, the wet just sat there. I make mine in a bone shape, the narrow part lays on the shoulder, so slipping was not an issue.

I then made 3 more sets with cotton on one side and terry cloth on the other. The gals all responded saying that combination was perfect. So that's how I've made them since. I could probably also make them with terry and flannel instead of cotton.

Lots of people use flannel and it seems to work just fine. I just switched to terry because of the comments. If I use towels, I buy the cheap ones at Walmart for $1.99.

meyert 09-24-2014 11:02 AM

lalaland - thank you for the pictures! Those are adorable. I am going to TRY to start on these tonight.. it will be interesting. I am really leaning on using a towel. I can put a layer of fabric on either side so the color won't matter...because I remember how my little guys gushed on my shoulder