Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Button Collections (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/button-collections-t205913.html)

Maggiemay 11-13-2012 09:51 PM

I just saw wallhanging on Pintrest & it was a jar quilt & the jar was filled with buttons (sewn on). I have some really nice buttons & thought this would be a cute wallhanging for my sewing room. The hanging was a single jar, but I thought a row of them would be cute.

lynnie 11-13-2012 10:19 PM

I have a gallon zip bag full. I use them in my quilty stuff. When i make things for swaps, i usually put them onto something, its like letting your kid go on the us for thr first time. I miss my buttons, but know others will enjoy them too.

Tropical 11-13-2012 11:24 PM

Might you be able to make a lighted display table out of a glass topped table and some small led lights?

I love buttons, too. Not too long ago I asked my Mom if she still had her button box full of buttons and if so could I please have it when she was finished with it. It was a vey old cookie tin. I was so disappointed when she told me she gave them to my younger brothers to play with years and years ago and there are none of the buttons left. I need to start collecting antique ones one of these days along with antique sewing notions. My DH says anytime, but I always spend on fabric before I get a chance.

earthwalker 11-13-2012 11:30 PM

I shall watch this thread with interest...I have an accumulation of buttons...from my great-gran, my nan, my mother and of course mine....Mine are in plastic containers and the rest are in a really big tall tin, with a lid. Hardly ideal....when on a button search I put a sheet on the floor and tip the lot out. Some are still stitched to the cardboard with the price tags on.

Vanuatu Jill 11-13-2012 11:41 PM

I recently got into gathering buttons for my purses. Although I have a big tin which was my mothers, which has all sorts of buttons when I was a kid and teenager and started making clothes, I doubt that I will use most. I now collect large buttons 32-38 mm for purses. I now buy them online at Lots of Buttons.com and just placed another order! I like having a good assortment so when a purse is finished, I can find a good button for it without having to wait to finish it.

romanojg 11-14-2012 08:31 AM

Nope but I'll be out searching for buttons this weekend. I'm doing an advent calendar and the ornaments are hung on the "tree" with buttons as each day passes. I want to find Christmas buttons if possible or ones that looks like toys/ornaments to put on the tree so that it looks decorated even before all of the ornaments are hung.

Ioftheneedle 11-14-2012 06:18 PM

Thanks, these are ideas I had not thought of.
The buttons I mentioned are rather special.
I do have canning jars of buttons from previous years but these seem to get dull/scratched from use or rubbing against each other.

nativetexan 11-14-2012 07:22 PM

Designer Sarah Richardson (i think ) made some shadow boxes (deep type frames) with glued buttons in lines . looked nice. I have about three cans of buttons, not really a collection though.

Pilgrim 11-14-2012 09:38 PM

Several women in our guild made their button into bracelets by sewing them on elastic. They turned out really neat.

Teddybear Lady 11-14-2012 09:42 PM

I keep mine in pretty glass jars. Sometimes I use them on a craft project.