Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   can anyone help. turkey in a brown bag ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/can-anyone-help-turkey-brown-bag-t74343.html)

icon17 11-04-2010 08:12 PM

I read the directions for cook'in one in a brown paper bag,(under recipes) and REALLY want to do this for turkey day :!: but alittle concerned CAN it be done in a GAS stove? also do you stuff the bird or not? need to know soon :!: thank you. lori k. 'icon17' 8-)
PS he needs help to get out of the bag :!: :!: :!: :lol:

lab fairy 11-04-2010 08:34 PM

I wish I could help you. My Mom sent me the phone number for Poison Control when I attempted to cook. I'll ask my husband since he's the official cook at my house. I clean up the mess. He'll probably know the answer.

We never stuff our turkey with stuffing. Too easy to get Salmonella.

Lynn Luker 11-04-2010 08:52 PM

I have cooked turkey this way several times. It's always turned out great. I also never stuff the bird, but don't see why you couldn't. I usually stuff the cavity with an onion, apple and celery (for flavor). The hard part is taking it out, the bag gets soggy and rips on the bottom, so be careful.

icon17 11-04-2010 08:55 PM

Thanks 4 the reply and 4 the giggle too!!

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I wish I could help you. My Mom sent me the phone number for Poison Control when I attempted to cook. I'll ask my husband since he's the official cook at my house. I clean up the mess. He'll probably know the answer.

We never stuff our turkey with stuffing. Too easy to get Salmonella.

icon17 11-04-2010 08:58 PM

thanks But what about in a gas stove? I'm scared it may burn down the house!!!

Originally Posted by Lynn Luker
I have cooked turkey this way several times. It's always turned out great. I also never stuff the bird, but don't see why you couldn't. I usually stuff the cavity with an onion, apple and celery (for flavor). The hard part is taking it out, the bag gets soggy and rips on the bottom, so be careful.

Lynn Luker 11-04-2010 09:17 PM

It doesn't matter if you have a gas or an electric stove. I never even thought about it catching on fire. Be brave!

quilting cat 11-04-2010 09:34 PM

I recommend Reynold's Wrap's bags over brown paper grocery bags for safety reasons. Brown paper grocery bags have printing that can smell when heated, and the paper is recycled and may contain chemicals. The Reynold's bags give you directions, too!

sewTinker 11-04-2010 09:53 PM

Gas or electric, your house will remain standing. lol... Once the turkey is out of the oven, peel away the bag to expose the bird. Then use your preferred method of removing the turkey from the pan (my husband often lifts it with hot pads; or, other times, two large utility meat forks). Leave the bag in the pan. Once the turkey has been placed on the cutting board, remove the bag from the pan & toss.

Painiacs 11-04-2010 10:48 PM

I did that one but tried the recipe at high heat caught the bag on fire! Thaksgiving my kids won't forget! Lol. We caught it at beginning so nothing bad happened! Not even to turkey!!

Qbee 11-05-2010 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by quilting cat
I recommend Reynold's Wrap's bags over brown paper grocery bags for safety reasons. Brown paper grocery bags have printing that can smell when heated, and the paper is recycled and may contain chemicals. The Reynold's bags give you directions, too!

We use these every year and they honestly do work VERY well. The turkey is always juicy and cooks according to the directions perfectly. Plus, if done right, you can snip the corner of the bag and carefully pour all the juice into a bowl without a mess. I hate losing the juice because I use it to make my gravy. Good luck!! :D