Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Can I freeze fresh mushrooms? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/can-i-freeze-fresh-mushrooms-t67094.html)

May in Jersey 09-27-2010 12:16 PM

I gave a bunch of crimini mushrooms leftover from the mushroom barley soup I made today and was thinking of freezing them to use in a baked chicken dish dish next week.

I know you can buy frozen sliced mushrooms but was wondering since mushrooms have a high water content if I could freeze mine and would they still keep the mushroom flavor. May in Jersey

amma 09-27-2010 12:18 PM

Yes you can freeze them, it will dry them out, but they reconstitute nicely and don't lose their flavor, if anything it may intensify them :D:D:D
The texture may be a bit different after freezing, but after cooking them, it was negligible :D

sharon b 09-27-2010 12:22 PM

My dad does it every year ! he boils them first , then puts them in freezer baggies and freezes - then we get to eat them all year :thumbup:

Quiltforme 09-27-2010 12:29 PM

try the Alton Brown method he uses dry ice to freeze dry the veggies might try to look him up on food network.

littlehud 09-27-2010 12:52 PM

I love Alton. Full of wonderful suggestions.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-27-2010 02:21 PM

May that sounds so yummy!!!!!!! If I come over will you give me some soup??? :D

Olivia's Grammy 09-27-2010 03:15 PM

What a great idea. I usually end up throwing them out as they go bad before I can use them up. Now I can freeze them. What a great board. We learn so much from each other.

Janetlmt 09-27-2010 03:41 PM

When I have extra mushrooms I pack them in vacumn seal bags and vacum pack them. They freeze very well. The mushroom barley soup sound wonderful..please share the recipe.
Peace and blessings,

May in Jersey 09-27-2010 04:53 PM

Sorry I can't share the mushroom barley soup, only a small bowl left for tomorrow's lunch. But will share the recipe with you gals. Years ago I always enjoyed the thich creamy mushroom barley soup that I had in New York City diner's. Finally got a recipe that comes pretty close.

Creamy Mushroom Barley Soup

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion, sliced
1 carrot, diced (optional)
1/4 cup barley
1 26 oz can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large stock pot saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter til tender, add barley and cook until barley is lightly browned. Add soup, water, thyme and pepper, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes or until barley is soft. I let it sit for a few hours before serving as it gets nice and thick.

If you can't find the large can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup subsitute several smaller cans. Hope you like it. I froze the leftover mushrooms for the chicken dish I plan to make on Thursday for my Granny's Who Lunch Luncheon.
May in Jersey

redkimba 09-27-2010 05:15 PM

ya'll rock! I will try the tips for freezing them. I can't get through the package before they go bad.