Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Canning (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/canning-t282964.html)

Beehiveof9 10-12-2016 03:40 PM

Canning

Just finishing up the canning for this year. Can't wait to get back to some quilting. That got me to thinking, does anyone "reward" themselves for finishing up the canning? I'm thinking a bowl of my favorite ice cream. :) I used to reward myself with a "day off" for quilting at home, but life is so crazy right now, I can't really do that at the moment. I have LOTS of projects, so buying fabric is out. How about you? How do you reward yourself for finishing up the canning, or any other project that you are glad is over with, for that matter?

Sleepy Hollow 10-12-2016 04:28 PM

Sometimes, for canning, after a hard day in a hot kitchen (or not so hot), sometimes I'm just "done" and I get something out for dinner. I rarely eat out, so it's kind of nice.

When I had a big overtime-heavy job at work (14 12 hour nights in a row), after an overtime heavy year (I had over 400 hours of overtime that year), I rewarded myself with a DSLR camera.

Rewards are usually small though, a good piece of chocolate, a rich dessert, etc.

Tothill 10-12-2016 08:10 PM

I am on my own now, so I do not do much canning, but my treat when I spent day after day putting up fruit and veggies, was to go get a pedicure. It is so nice and relaxing and my feet were usually pretty tired by the end of canning season.

Geri B 10-13-2016 03:10 AM

My years of canning are over....but actually my reward then was the comments from family on the results of my labor......hmmm, this is so good!

Joset 10-13-2016 04:17 AM

i don't can much any more but still do some i worked on carrots for about two days. then i sat done
and had a windsor coke. lol

redstilettos 10-13-2016 04:28 AM

I still love canning. My rewards, in order are: the "ping" of the jars telling me I did it correctly and they are sealed!, getting the kitchen cleaned and put back together, seeing all the pretty jars in a row, the flavor of summer in the middle of winter when I open a jar......and then having time to do all my other crafty things since dinners are easier and faster to put together :)

tessagin 10-13-2016 04:55 AM

I didn't have a garden but purchased from the farmer's markets and froze a lot. I double sealed and it's nice in the fall when I want to put a veggie soup or stew or pot pie together. I have a couple Tupperware freezer container to help keep freezer burn at bay. Takes no time to thaw the quart freezer bags since it's just the 2 of us. my freezer has more veggies in it than my cupboard has cans. My reward is the fresh flavor at mealtime.

paoberle 10-13-2016 05:01 AM

I sit down with a book I have been wanting to read.

granny64 10-13-2016 07:50 AM

I'll treat myself to a good glass of wine.

francie yuhas 10-13-2016 08:10 AM

I give myself a " day off". I tell the DH to help himself to whatever he can scrounge up from the fridge,and just quilt all day ( in my pjs).