Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Can't Believe What Happened @ Wally World!!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cant-believe-what-happened-%40-wally-world-t66007.html)

cattailsquilts 09-21-2010 01:26 PM

My great-grandmother was a tiny woman, and great-grandpa drove a tall truck, too. He made her a step & attached it to the truck with a chain so taht once she was in, she could reach down & pull it up into the truck. It also kept it from being left behind!

amandasgramma 09-21-2010 01:35 PM

I'm sorry that happened!!! Hopefully no one will give Wally World a bad name for that...it could've happened anywhere.

I used to have trouble getting into our pickup. DH bought a step-stool (at Wally World!!) that folds up practically with one hand. I could pick it up and set it on the floor really easy. Then no one could steal it!

grammyp 09-21-2010 01:41 PM

Oh, that is low! I suggest seeing if Medicare will help put a step on the side of the truck. Or perhaps get a child's step stool so it will be light enough to put in and out of the truck.

Mimito2 09-21-2010 01:45 PM

Have you thought of getting one of the plastic step stools from Wally World. Cheap, convienent and lightweight.

Ladybugnana 09-21-2010 01:50 PM

I am so sorry. People have turned terrible out there. Look for what is called the Handy Andy. It is a step stool that folds flat and is light weight. Its one of the few thing my surgeon will allow me to pick up after abdominal surgery. Weighs less that 5 lbs but carries alot of weight on it. I dont remember if it was wally world I got it at or harbor freight. Look on line and see if you can find one. Prayers and hugs to you and your mom!

Leota 09-21-2010 01:51 PM

The problem with the small plastic stools is that with a stroke patient, the usually do not have the coordination or balance needed to step on something that is light weight and tips over. A sturdy wood one like Donna had built is better.
Donna, I'm sorry this happened to you. I too am caring for my mother who is unable to live by herself. It is an adventure.

Maribeth 09-21-2010 02:00 PM

I think someone was trying to help you out by moving the box so you wouldn't drive over it. Sorry that you have to spend the time to make another one. Maybe paint a little handicapped symbol on the box and that might make it clearer to the next person who is trying to help you out by removing it.

DJRustic 09-21-2010 04:52 PM

Leota, you are so right, a stroke patient has to be able to get both feet on the same area. The box was 24"x24". It was like a big platform. And of course it has to be heavy so it won't tip. Any way, I just know someone has taken it. I had several people comment on it asI would be getting it out for Mom. Has your Mom had a stroke? How long has she been with you? Mom has improved so much. She really tries to do so much for herself. She needs help getting dressed, shower & of course I am always walking with her when she gets up to walk. I am just so blessed that she is still with us. I will do whatever it takes to take care of her, I promised my Dad. I also have my sister who lived with Mom. She is a slow learner & is legally blind. I have taught her to hand piece. You should see what that girl has done. I am so proud of her. She now does her own laundry, has her own checking account & helps me cook. She has never done any of these things. I have guardianship of her when Mom passes away. Didn't mean to write a book. Thanks for listening & God Bless everyone. Donna, The Rustic Quilter

littlehud 09-21-2010 05:59 PM

That is so sad. In this day and age it could have happened anywhere. That is really too bad though.

Gramof6 09-21-2010 06:28 PM

Donna I am so sorry for this aggravation. Some people will take anything. I hope you never have this happen again. Could you maybe paint these words on the new box you made..."You Are Being Watched". It might prevent another theft, maybe not. Worth a try. I'm very very proud of you for taking care of your Mother & Sister. I know it can be a heavy load but a worthy one. {{{{{Huge Hugs}}}}}