Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Be Careful-Slow Cookers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/careful-slow-cookers-t78266.html)

plainpat 11-23-2010 12:01 PM

DD saw a "Euro Pro"SC in Kmart for $20.She bought 2 & gave me one.I'd decided not to replace mine when it bit the dust...but.....
So,I was making turkey broth & put it in the SC,turned on high for an hr, then on low.Within 20 mins, it was boiling & running down the sides to my counter.The bottom was so slick, the slightest touch would move it.Couldn't turn it down, as it was on low.
Took the broth out & left the SC to cool.When I removed the liner to wash it, there was broth that had seeped into bottom....between the liner & outer shell.It had turned black from burning.It went back the next day & so did DDs.
We founf Hamilton Beach SCs at Walmart & went with them. BTW....all new SCs seem to be slick on the bottom. So be careful!

M.E.H. 11-23-2010 12:40 PM

Thank you for the heads up :thumbup:

patricej 11-23-2010 01:02 PM

please remember ... one defective item does not necessarily mean they are all defective.

a letter to the manufacturer would be helpful. ;-)

Colorful Quilter 11-23-2010 01:17 PM

Thanks for the info

amandasgramma 11-23-2010 01:50 PM

Yeah, thanks for the info...I just got a small SC -- don't know the brand, but will go check and keep my eye on it!

craftybear 11-23-2010 02:05 PM

thanks for letting us know

grann of 6 11-23-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
DD saw a "Euro Pro"SC in Kmart for $20.She bought 2 & gave me one.I'd decided not to replace mine when it bit the dust...but.....
So,I was making turkey broth & put it in the SC,turned on high for an hr, then on low.Within 20 mins, it was boiling & running down the sides to my counter.The bottom was so slick, the slightest touch would move it.Couldn't turn it down, as it was on low.
Took the broth out & left the SC to cool.When I removed the liner to wash it, there was broth that had seeped into bottom....between the liner & outer shell.It had turned black from burning.It went back the next day & so did DDs.
We founf Hamilton Beach SCs at Walmart & went with them. BTW....all new SCs seem to be slick on the bottom. So be careful!

I have found you have to be careful not to fill them too full as they add so much more liquid during the cooking. I never fill mine more than half way, usually about 1/3.

Jingle 11-23-2010 06:22 PM

I think I have read not to fill them more than 2/3 full. I only put about a cup of liquid in mine and I'm right here with it, I don't use anything when I'm not home.

karenchi 11-23-2010 06:29 PM

Is a slow cooker the same as a crock pot? I do my turkey breast in the crock pot....It's great

plainpat 11-24-2010 02:35 AM

Yes, same thing.I want to find a way to keep it from being so slick. Just sent a letter to mfgr & asked about that.Any ideas?

Originally Posted by karenchi
Is a slow cooker the same as a crock pot? I do my turkey breast in the crock pot....It's great