Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cat changing color (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cat-changing-color-t23484.html)

pittsburgpam 07-30-2009 12:25 PM

I have a fairly new kitten and she is changing color. She was almost all black/brown but now she has a lot of grey. On her underside, underside of her tail, on her legs, tops of her legs, seems like it's slowly going over her whole body.

Don't know what breed of cat she is, was a stray, but is there some breed that does this as they get older? I'll post a picture when I get a new one of her.

zyxquilts 07-30-2009 12:31 PM

Maybe it has to do with the heat - could be that her thicker coat is dark & shows more when it's cool? Just a shot in the dark here!

MadQuilter 07-30-2009 12:44 PM

My Nesley was named after the white crunch chocolate. She kept getting darker from whitish to silver-gray. Don't know why - loved her just the same.

Moonpi 07-30-2009 01:29 PM

My black cat sprouts a few white chest hairs from time to time. They drop out, and she goes back to basic black. Her summer black is different than her winter coat. Her eyes have never settled on color either - anything from deep gold to stunning green.

I grew up with a lot of Siamese, and they always darkened with age. It could be that her kitten fur is just being replaced as she outgrows it.

kluedesigns 07-30-2009 01:57 PM

i have a black american long hair. in the fall/winter her cat is very dark black every where. in the spring/summer her coat goes to a smokey grey on her chest and stomach.

SaraSewing 07-30-2009 03:52 PM

I do know that siamese kitties respond to sunlight. When I lived in the north north that seemed dark and short days, the kitties were dark brown. Then once I got to this wonderful long days of sunlight location the same kitties are light tan. They vary slightly between summer and winter, but the general latitude makes a huge difference. I'd never really paid that much attention to other breeds. I only have one Siamese left now, she is really old - almost 19 years! But she's a happy ole' critter. (and tan now)

SaraSewing 07-30-2009 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
I grew up with a lot of Siamese, and they always darkened with age. It could be that her kitten fur is just being replaced as she outgrows it.

Very true. Baby Siamese are white with little gray ears and nose. They don't darken up until they are older, and don't reach full coloring until they are mature. Tiny newborn Siamese are so white you could wonder what breed they are! I want another one!

Shemjo 07-30-2009 04:21 PM

I think she is just finding her color! You haven't had her very long, and maybe because she came from way north, she is getting used to CA weather! I know white cats often grey as they mature. But I didn't know black cats did also! :?

PrettyKitty 07-30-2009 11:48 PM

Oooh Pam she sounds interesting! I think cats fur can just change colour as they get older. My boys fur was very different texture/colour when they were kittens. Satchmo was chocolate brown as a kitten, but when he hit puberty he got much darker, is black now, and developed white patches in 'man' places....chest, underarms and, erm, round his 'bits'...haha. Thats why I call him monkey boy. Kitchen (ginger spotty/tabby) developed a darker, coarser line of fur along his spine when he grew up, which is a nod to his Bengal lineage I'm told.

Post some pics! :-)

reneebobby 07-31-2009 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
Oooh Pam she sounds interesting! I think cats fur can just change colour as they get older. My boys fur was very different texture/colour when they were kittens. Satchmo was chocolate brown as a kitten, but when he hit puberty he got much darker, is black now, and developed white patches in 'man' places....chest, underarms and, erm, round his 'bits'...haha. Thats why I call him monkey boy. Kitchen (ginger spotty/tabby) developed a darker, coarser line of fur along his spine when he grew up, which is a nod to his Bengal lineage I'm told.

Post some pics! :-)

Oh my that is to funny, Buddy he's staying the same so far but has gotten weirder. hahaha