Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   cat for free because ..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cat-free-because-t132271.html)

Missi 06-22-2011 06:06 AM

I had my queen size black and white quilt blocks laid out on the living room floor. I got them all labeled, and most of them matched and pinned and last night found a present in the matched blocks.

She threw up on the blocks and covered it up with the other blocks. Well it was dry so it easily came off, problem is now there is a faint yellow stain from the dye in her food.

Ideas anyone. I thought about ripping out the blocks that are stained and replacing them. But these are 16 piece blocks. Do I try and scrub it out.

Augh - I could pummel her and this on top of her knocking my kitchen plant in my favorite pot off the counter this weekend.

Opal Jane 06-22-2011 06:08 AM

You gotta love our fur babies!

SparkMonkey 06-22-2011 06:11 AM

Oh, lord. The barfing is one thing, but HIDING IT? I'd want to punt her, too!

Maybe a Tide pen, or some other type of bleach pen, would work?

At least the quilt is still unassembled so you *could* rip out the stained blocks pretty easily if it came to that. Depending on the construction, you might be able to perform surgery and replace the stained blocks without ripping out every piece.

redpurselady 06-22-2011 06:15 AM

How about putting it all together and treating the stains and washing the whole quilt after it is completed?

I know what you mean about cats. We have Abby who we love, but she barfs a lot. Can't keep the carpet clean. We've tried putting her on special food, elevating her food bowl, etc. but she barfs at least twice a week and it isn't because of hairballs. We just put up with it and try to clean up as best we can. It does get a little frustrating when you have your carpets professionally cleaned and a few days later, there are barf stains.

cjomomma 06-22-2011 06:16 AM

Humm! It sounds like someone is looking for attention.

nana katie 06-22-2011 06:17 AM

Get some Resolve carpet cleaner and spray it on the spot, rub gently and rinse in cold water and let it air dry. It should all come out. Ask me how I know. Nana Katie

feline fanatic 06-22-2011 06:20 AM

That yellow is a combination of the dye in the food and bile and it is a b**ch to get out! Ask me how I know. I had this happen on a completed quilt top (not quilted yet). I know you won't want to hear this but I never was able to get the stain out. I did however fade the stain considerably. I even took a chance and machine washed the unquilted top hoping to get it out. No luck. I quilted the top anyway (for practice when I first got my LA) and have yet to put the binding on it. I will try scrubbing it with oxiclean and all the usual suspects but I am not holding out much hope to get all of the stain out. You can try scrubbing and stain removers and such but you may have to resign yourself to either remaking the blocks or ripping and resewing the stained parts, or live with the stain.

bearisgray 06-22-2011 06:24 AM

I put dish detergent on the spots and ran water through the fabric when one of my cats "blessed" one of my projects.

If it's fresh, most of it should come out.

Baking soda is another thing you could try.

I would try this on a scrap first, though, to see if or how it affects the colors/fabrics.

I would also avoid "scrubbing" or "agitating" as much as possible.

One of my cats throws up a lot because he has hyperthyroidism - even with medication - I think about half of what he eats comes back up. I'm reasonably sure he can't help it.

jaciqltznok 06-22-2011 06:34 AM

soak it in oxy clean...in a ziploc over night if you have too....NO bleach, it will make it worse..and NO heat or it will set it...

Joan 06-22-2011 06:37 AM

In all fairness to the cat (because he can't talk), I just wanted to add that your kitty was trying to clean up in the only he knows how..... :mrgreen: