Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   cat mattress' (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cat-mattress-t276182.html)

SoftBlockLady 02-28-2016 04:18 AM

cat mattress'

Hi Everyone...........this isn't about quilting but I hope someone can help. I have pieces of vinyl and bags of scraps from quilting. Want to make some stuffed mats for our animal shelter. What would be the easiest and best way to go about this..............I already contacted them and they would like these for the cat adoption area...............thanks.....

KenmoreGal2 02-28-2016 04:37 AM

I make beds for a woman who runs a feral cat rescue. I simply make something like a pillowcase and keep it attached to my cutting table. All my scraps go into it. When it's full, I stitch the opening closed and then stitch around all 4 sides for extra security. She has never complained.

Geri B 02-28-2016 06:08 AM

I don't think I'd use the vinyl. I've done the stuffed case, but first lay a bunch of scraps on cutting board and "slaw" them, then, stuff some into case, channel sew these, stuff another channel, sew it, etc. this way when used, washed less lumpy. I've only made for myself and cat friends......

misspriss 02-28-2016 07:42 AM

And you can stuff old T shirt bodies or sweat shirts.

ManiacQuilter2 02-28-2016 08:50 AM

I agree, vinyl I don't think will work.

KLO 02-28-2016 02:20 PM

If you really wanted to use the vinyl, you could use it for the bottom of the bed but use cotton on the top. It would then act as a sort of wet or vapor barrier as it sits on the floor. Just a thought.

DOTTYMO 02-29-2016 12:02 AM

Cat like soft and warm so use the vinyl for the base and cotton or kinky for the top. Would vinyl wash?

mycatsmom 02-29-2016 05:39 AM

I use pillow cases or inexpensive fleece. I cut, fold, and sew the fleece about to be the size of a pillow case leaving one of the long sides open. I turn this inside out. I sew channels from the bottom, sewn edge to the top stopping about 3 inches from the top. The channels are about the width of my hand. I fill the channels with small scraps. Do not pack the stuffing in, as it will never dry when washed. When I am happy with the firmness of the channels, I fold the unsewn edge in and top stitch. I prefer the fleece as it is soft and cats and small dogs would like this. I bought my fleece at Walmart and I was able to make 4 pillow case size beds for $4.50.

Battle Axe 03-01-2016 03:51 AM

I would think they need to wash them and vinyl would not be the best. Lots of crevices for diseases to hide. I bought...didn't make... a cat bed with surrounding sides. There is usually a cat in that one. What "mycatsmom" has said sounds good.

carolynjo 03-01-2016 06:16 AM

I would not use vinyl. I can see it trapping moisture in every crevice.