Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cat with a skin injury...can you help. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cat-skin-injury-can-you-help-t147408.html)

MisDixie 08-23-2011 06:15 PM

First of Ace the cat is not in pain or in danger, that we can tell. There is no seepage or infection, but being a cat he grooms the area before he goes to sleep. He has torn a peice of flesh at the top of the left front leg. Its about 1 inch with a rounded top. I suspect he got caught on a nail while chasing whatever little creature was moving. So my question is can you use surgical glue (crazy glue) on a cat? I know that it can be used on people, I have used it my self but I don't know that it would safe for the cat.
The vet is not answering and will not be in town till September 16th.
Thanks, MisDixie

virtualbernie 08-23-2011 06:18 PM

I'd be afraid he'd lick it off. I would just try to keep it clean and watch for signs of infection until you can get to a vet. Is it possible to wrap/cover it? You only have access to one vet?

gotta-sew 08-23-2011 06:22 PM

I think I would call the pharmacy and ask. They might know.

Hattie Frances 08-23-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
I'd be afraid he'd lick it off. I would just try to keep it clean and watch for signs of infection until you can get to a vet. Is it possible to wrap/cover it? You only have access to one vet?

I agree, if he can get to it, he will lick it.

auntpiggylpn 08-23-2011 06:23 PM

Okay as a former nurse and current Vet Tech student, this is my suggestion: I wouldn't do anything to it but observe the wound and the cat's behavior. Animals will hide the fact that they are in pain as a survival strategy. If the cat becomes aggressive or starts to limp, then the wound needs some immediate attention. Watch the wound for any signs of infection: Redness, drainage, usually cloudy in color or pus filled, bleeding etc. The cat will keep the wound clean by licking it and he/she will do it as often as it needs to be done.

moonwork42029 08-23-2011 06:28 PM

We had outside cats that always got into something...I cleaned their wounds with Q-tip and soapy water...then I would pour peroxide on it a few times to help kill any germs. I would put on neosporin cream a couple times a day. If you have any benodine solution (the stuff they pour on you before surgery) it will help keep it clean too.

I know they licked it off but a little didn't hurt them.

If Ace stays in the house, can you put a small wrap on it? Just watch so it doesn't start oozing or looking swollen...he could be in trouble if it starts getting infected.

If you have a feed or co-op store, do they carry pet antibiotics since the vet isn't available...or maybe a farmer in the area has some to borrow?

When the vet returns, maybe you can get some from him to have it on hand in case it happens again.

Hope he gets better soon

Bubblegum0077 08-23-2011 06:28 PM

best to ask another vet if possible. Maybe there is a vet on call to answer the questions or handle the injury.

bonitagaye 08-23-2011 06:33 PM

My older dog got her leg cut and it too over 300 stitches 2 times to put it back together.

After about 3 weeks of trying everything to keep things together with the staples and wrapping and everything we could think of.

The vet finally said he did not think we would be able to save her skin...it kept rotting off and would not stretch any farther!

I said OK and took Missie home and went to the garden. I got a great big piece of Aloevera and ran it thru the blender outer skin and all! 3 days later everything was starting to heal and she was healed in about 5 more days! I use my aloe all the time for the animals!!!

irishrose 08-23-2011 06:37 PM

I don't know if it should be covered, but I have used a piece of gauze held on by vet wrap on one of my dogs. I get my vet wrap from Drs Smith and Foster, but you can buy it other places, too.

Sunflower Girl 08-23-2011 06:41 PM

My previous cat had a scratch like that and I kept doctoring it, however, couldn't see that it was infected until it starting seeping. She had to have surgery to clean out the wound and cut away the infected area, and essentially had a "butt tuck". I think it was over $200 all said and done. I would get your baby into another vet to look at it and get some antiboitics started. Better not to have to put your cat through a surgery and certainly less costly! Vet thought she might have got in a fight with another cat, didn't really look that bad to start with.