Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ceiling fans, new trick for cleaning blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ceiling-fans-new-trick-cleaning-blades-t279374.html)

Bren 06-07-2016 04:30 AM

Ceiling fans, new trick for cleaning blades

I tried this and cleaned 5 fans in about 20 minutes! Take an old pillowcase, enclose each blade up to where it attaches, then pull the pillowcase toward you using a rubbing motion with both hands. The dust stays in the pillowcase rather than making a mess. When you are done, just take it outside, turn it inside out, shake the dust off, and throw it in the washer. I used an old flannel pillowcase and followed up with a slightly damp rag. I have always dreaded cleaning the fans, but this makes it a breeze (pun intended) lol! Think I may have seen this tip on the Today Show.

redstilettos 06-07-2016 04:31 AM

I looked at mine this weekend and left them....just didn't want to tackle it. I'll give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

romanojg 06-07-2016 05:19 AM

My son saw mine and asked if I was starting a new trend, like the fuzzy dice were for windows back in the day. I told him he was so tall he could clean them while he was there. Of course he just laughed. I hate dusting. When I gave my other son my shadow box and all of the knick knacks that were on it, but he had to take the dust. He's like mom, theres a lot of dust, I said yes and it serves a purpose. If they were to fall off the shelf and hit the floor it would protect them from breaking. I'm slowly gettng rid of things and giving them to the kids they remind me of and will keep on going until there's just enough to fit into my curio cabinets where little dusting is required.

tapper 06-07-2016 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 7571074)
My son saw mine and asked if I was starting a new trend, like the fuzzy dice were for windows back in the day. I told him he was so tall he could clean them while he was there. Of course he just laughed. I hate dusting. When I gave my other son my shadow box and all of the knick knacks that were on it, but he had to take the dust. He's like mom, theres a lot of dust, I said yes and it serves a purpose. If they were to fall off the shelf and hit the floor it would protect them from breaking. I'm slowly gettng rid of things and giving them to the kids they remind me of and will keep on going until there's just enough to fit into my curio cabinets where little dusting is required.

Oh, I know what you mean. I had a shadowbox with small brass items, also one with thimbles. They are dust collectors and the older I get, the less I want to do with household chores.
Even the daily meal is now a twice-a-week task. I am a senior and at the point where I feel that I should be doing lots of what I enjoy and much, much less of what I always felt I had to do.
Gave away my thimbles and brass items and also my decorative spoon collections...all went to a charity flea market.

edited to add....I get my son to do all the fan blades.

ManiacQuilter2 06-07-2016 05:54 AM

What a clever idea. I always thought if I ran it enough, all the dust bunnies would fall off and end up in the vacuum cleaner.

Tartan 06-07-2016 06:26 AM

WHAT, you're supposed to dust them?:D

dunster 06-07-2016 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7571142)
WHAT, you're supposed to dust them?:D

:D My thoughts exactly.

Chasing Hawk 06-07-2016 07:03 AM

I am going to try that today. We moved everything out of the living room in preparation for carpeting to be installed. And the 8 foot ladder will be in the house for other high cleaning duties.

Rosyhf 06-07-2016 07:23 AM

I have the stand up fans for a reason, hubby cleans them lol....

aronel 06-07-2016 10:10 AM

Wow! That is ingenious. Thanks!