Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cell Phone Newbie Questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cell-phone-newbie-questions-t42436.html)

Lisanne 04-11-2010 04:23 PM

In another thread, some of you recommended Wal-mart's StraighTalk prepaid cell phones. I bought one this weekend.
(Pic of phone: http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdi...sionId=7184745 )

The people at Wal-mart couldn't answer all my questions, so I called the support number. The automated answering system said, "Due to unusually heavy call volume, we cannot answer your call." And it hung up on me! So... lousy customer service, and after spending $129 + tax on the phone, plus the 30-day card, I am not happy.

Maybe some of you can answer a few of my questions?

1. It said to charge the battery for 5 hours the first time. I didn't expect to have to charge the battery first thing, and I had to leave (and I needed the phone with me), so I unplugged it after less than two hours of charging. When I got back, I plugged it in to finish charging, but after less than 15 minutes, it beeped and said charging was complete. Is this okay? Or did I screw up my battery by not charging it fully the first time?

2. How do you push those teeny keys? I have small hands and fingers, but those keys are so small, only my fingernail works. I'd prefer not to use my nails on it. I expected it to come with a stylus, but it didn't.

3. It didn't come with a case. How do you keep it protected from hitting things? I have it in a pocket in my purse, but it's sharing the space with other things there.

As for actually using it, I haven't done more than experiment with that so far. I'm sure I'll have more questions...

amma 04-11-2010 05:00 PM

I used my nieces phone last weekend and I didn't like those tiny little buttons on her's either. If you try and use a stylus on her's, it would tear up the rubbery coating I think.

I found that my cell phones needed various charging times for the first charge. My last one was fully charged :roll: I wonder if they said 5 hours just in case it was completely discharged?

I haven't heard a lot of good feedback regarding customer service with prepaid phones. From what I have seen and heard it is limited, and some even get charged minutes to talk to a customer service representative. Have you tried going to their website to get your questions answered?

amma 04-11-2010 05:01 PM

I keep my phone in my pocket, or in it's own pocket in my purse. I think it is common to have to buy a protector for them, usually they have them for sale on their website, or dept stores carry some that may work too.

ctack2 04-11-2010 05:09 PM

I went into the Cricket store here and they had cases for all kinds of phones. Got one for my Sprint phone for $10 that would have cost about $25 or $30 at the Sprint store.
They also sell cases at Walmart in or near the jewelry section.
Carol B

SherriB 04-11-2010 05:36 PM

I would try Ebay for a phone case. I bought one for my phone and it was less than $5.00, and had free shipping.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-11-2010 05:47 PM

Cell phones are much tougher than you think. It will be fine in your purse. Many of them live in gym bags under track spikes and live to make calls again. Keep in mind that every high school boy you see has a cell phone. There is no way you will treat yours as badly as they treat theirs!!

Your finger nails won't hurt the keys of the phone. I have long nails and have had the same phone for over two years. Just dial away and don't worry about it. If you really want to get fancy, most phone have a voice dial command. Then you only dial it once and give it a name. After that you just say, "Call Home" and it magically does it.

Lisanne 04-11-2010 06:45 PM

amma, yes, I tried going to the website, but the FAQ didn't have my questions. I imagine there's a way to email, so I'll check it again.

Lisa, good point about high school boys and phones. It has already survived me casually throwing my purse into my car - oops, I'll need to set it carefully on the floor of the car from now on.

I'd rather not use my nails to press the keys - for my nails' sake. I wasn't worried about the keys!

Thanks to everyone for suggestions about where to find cases. Has anyone quilted a case? I was thinking maybe a quilted outside and a foam inside?

Prism99 04-11-2010 09:43 PM

I haven't seen ones with tiny keys, but wouldn't the eraser end of a plain or mechanical pencil work?

Some purses have a pocket for a cell phone. I have also seen a leather case that clips on to the ring of a purse. It's handier to get at a ringing phone if the pocket is exterior.

amandasgramma 04-11-2010 09:48 PM

Every once in a while, we get a message on our answering machine or a phone call. Someone apparently has tossed their phone in their purse and they my # on speed dial........ARRRRGH! I can't figure out who it is, and everyone I know that has my # claims it's not them. One time, I heard EVERYTHING they said for over an hour! So BE CAREFUL!

earthwalker 04-11-2010 09:49 PM

I lock my phone (this locks the number pad - check your instructions) before I throw it in my bag...saves dialling up indescriminately if your phone rattles around. If the instruction manual is a bit pathetic - find their website they usually have a FAQ or customer service chat function.

Failing that, the average kid can give you a complete lesson in no time flat....if they could only clean their rooms as well as they can operate gadgets!