Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Change of life question... no, I don't mean THAT kind of change... ! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/change-life-question-no-i-dont-mean-kind-change-t231991.html)

Favorite Fabrics 10-07-2013 06:54 PM

Change of life question... no, I don't mean THAT kind of change... !

Well, everything changes eventually.

I've loved having my little fabric business, but... it's a lot of hard work, a lot of worry and late nights.

So this summer when I got offered a "real job" that would pay enough to run the household, plus health insurance benefits... I couldn't turn that down! And having the opportunity to work just 40 hours a week instead of 70, well that just feels like a vacation to me.

Most likely I will be left with a lifetime supply of fabric to use for charity sewing projects.

Three possibilities are coming to mind: quilts for world relief, Project Linus quilts, and pillowcase dresses. For the dresses, I could use up a lot of the trims I collected over the years, too, and that would be good.

I bet a lot of people here on the Quilting Board have done charity sewing too.

So, here's my question:
Of all the charitable sewing projects you've done, which one(s) have you enjoyed doing most, and why?

peacefulquilting 10-07-2013 07:03 PM

I personally love making quilts for Project Linus, but I'm also thinking about joining in the Quilts of Valor. I would have a hard time pinning down (no pun intended) a single reason; I guess I just like helping those who need something nice done for them at a time when they need it the most! ;)

Sandra in Minnesota 10-07-2013 07:07 PM

Many ladies at church and I make quilts, and the person who is ahead of the project determines where the quilts are distributed. They have gone to Indian reservations and people who have lost everything due to a fire. For me, it is nice to know how they are distributed, not put in a warehouse in a far off distant place.

grammyp 10-07-2013 07:11 PM

I make quilts for Project Linus, but also like to help out locally when I can. For people at work who are facing hard times (cancer, house fire, loss of child or parent ...), the chaplain at lets me know when there is a need and delivers it to the person. The label says simply "With love and prayers from your family at (name)". Many police officers keep quilts and pillow cases in their cars to comfort kids. Often when children are in foster care they have only the clothes on their backs. The quilts can offer comfort and the pillow case is a better suitcase than a trash bag.

donnalynett 10-07-2013 07:33 PM

I make quilts for our local hospice. Often one of my quilts is the last thing the patient sees and it makes me feel good to know how much the quilts are appreciated and how good the quilt made the patient feel.

calmqultr 10-07-2013 07:45 PM

Our small group makes quilts for foster-kids and women's shelter. Our large group makes neonatal quilts. Our guild does dialysis center quilts and neo-natal quilts.

Jan in VA 10-07-2013 09:15 PM

Why not keep it local to you and use some of the ideas posted.....
safe homes/women's shelters
hospice homes
family alliance
cancer treatment centers

Jan in VA

janedee 10-07-2013 09:32 PM

I think I would keep it local - who knows, one of those receiving a gifted quilt could have been a previous customer, and what better way of thanking them for their custom

QuiltnNan 10-08-2013 02:25 AM

i like to make quilts for our local guilds and quilting groups to be distributed locally. in one guild, we are making lap quilts for the 140 members of the local VFW.

ILoveToQuilt 10-08-2013 03:03 AM

Quilts of Valor