Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Chicken neck! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/chicken-neck-t83471.html)

Prism99 12-17-2010 12:46 PM

I have progressives for regular seeing. A few years ago I "splurged" on a pair of glasses specifically for computer work (which also work for piano playing and for sewing). At the time I thought this was an extravagant luxury; however, now that I have used them I *cannot* go back to regular glasses for near work. (I am very near-sighted with presbyopia, if that makes a difference.) When I forget and wear my regular glasses, especially for the computer, I soon develop problems with my neck from trying to see out of the bottom half of the glasses.

My last eye doctor said he had tried to get companies to make flip-up type glasses for computer work -- similar to the flip-up sunglasses you can clamp onto your regular eyeglasses. The prescription for the flip-ups would change the regular eyeglasses to near-work eyeglasses. This would be a lot less expensive than purchasing a second pair of eyeglasses, and much more convenient than always having to remember which pair of glasses you have on. (My computer is downstairs, and I am forever finding myself upstairs with the wrong pair of glasses on!) However, he said none of the companies was interested in the idea.

Ramona Byrd 12-17-2010 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I have a pair of computer glasses - a pair with the single correction needed for the distance and angle of a computer screen to my face. They work for the sewing machine, too, but not for walking around. It's a great idea. Five minutes here in regular bifocal glasses and my neck hurts - never with the computer ones. It's nice having a daughter working for an eye doctor.

-----------------------------------
So do I, it's a cheapie from a drug store and easily changed.
it is the strength of my lower bifocals and works nicely. If I wear regular ones I have to hold my head back to see the screen easily. And MY daughter did work for an eye doctor for years, so I wait till she visits to get new glasses. She has a lot to say to the eye doctor and I love the ones she gets me.

Ramona Byrd 12-17-2010 01:52 PM

My last eye doctor said he had tried to get companies to make flip-up type glasses for computer work -- similar to the flip-up sunglasses you can clamp onto your regular eyeglasses.
---------------------
What I would LOVE is a pair of glasses that would flip up one side at a time for picking out wild hairs from eye brows. It's a real pain to do it with bifocals.

JulieM 12-17-2010 02:42 PM

I have a pair of the no-line bifocals, I love them! I just wish the dog had not gotten ahold of them :hunf:
JulieM

maryb119 12-17-2010 04:09 PM

I have progressive lenses and they are great. No "granny lines" for me!

JulieM 12-18-2010 05:44 AM

I have a pair of the no-line bifocals, I love them! I just wish the dog had not gotten ahold of them :hunf:
JulieM

phatquilts 12-18-2010 08:00 AM

Tri-focals do not work for me progressive or not. I use two pairs of glasses. Otherwise the lenses are way too thick.

Here is a swell trick-learned from the board members here. Press the keys-ctrl & alt & move that mouse wheel until the letters and size of print is readable. Oh wow, what a difference. Just love that. So I do not need that third pair those magnifiers. I can read the computer screen with either pair. Happy quilting everybody.