Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Chihuahuas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/chihuahuas-t294472.html)

Crispy_Frog 01-31-2018 06:58 PM

Chihuahuas

I was at the animal rescue near our home and there were so many Chihuahuas there. They are so adorable. I think that might be my next pet. Does anyone here have experience with this tiny breed?

Tothill 01-31-2018 08:16 PM

I try to love all dogs, but the only nasty ones I have met were Chihuahuas. Having said that I support a local Chihuahua rescue, but I would not want to live with one.

I know many people love them and often it is the owner that is the problem, not the breed.

When I was looking for another dog to join my family it was hard to find one that was not a Chihuahua or Pit Bull. I happen to like the various Pit Bulls I have met, including the ones in my family, but they can be challenging to travel with when some communities have breed bans.

After a couple month search I found Penny a Corgi Pom cross.

zozee 01-31-2018 08:42 PM

Ugh. My least favorite besides a pit bull.

They are very high strung, have a shrill yap, are very territorial, and scare me. My next door neighbors have 2. Yes, cute, but not when they're threatening to bite my heels when I take a walk.

roguequilter 01-31-2018 08:57 PM

yes ..they can be mean & dangerous if not properly trained, just like pitts & any agressive breed. my best friend had one years ago & i re-named it Hamburger. she asked why ...because, i told her, if he doesn't stop biting my ankles i'm going to stomp it into hamburger. that said, i love the little devils. some of the breed varieties are absolutely gorgeous with their long silky hair. the miniatures are amazingly cute. the vet office i take my critters too has a preponderance of various pitt breeds & chihuahua breeds. so i get to meet lots of them ..and being the dog lover i am, i interact with all of them. if you are attracted to these tiny little loves, be sure to enroll it in obedience classes asap. sooner the better. and you also need to remember that strong personality breeds like chihuahuas, pitts, wolfdogs etc need constant teaching reinforcement. dogs are children that never grow up ..remind, teach & do again ..everyday.

Teen 01-31-2018 10:02 PM

My husband said a big fat no when I discovered a brother and sister at the rescue center. They ran around that pen like synchronized swimmers and I fell in love but; alas, I didn't adopt them. But, I did tell the center that if they cannot adopt them out together, then I would come get them. They should never be separated. I checked a couple of weeks later and they said a young couple adopted them both. I was relieved. I don't know the breed but they are adorable.

moonrise 02-01-2018 12:09 AM

My little Kaylee is a Chihuahua, but she doesn't have a "typical Chihuahua" personality. She's as sweet as can be. She doesn't make a peep unless there truly is something to be concerned about, and then she only barks until the "threat" is gone or until we let her know it's okay. For example, when the UPS man is putting a package on the porch, she'll bark because she hears something unusual, but once the guy leaves the porch, she's quiet again. To be just 7 pounds, she's a surprisingly good little watchdog. <3

People-wise, she's never met a stranger. She loves everybody, and has never growled or snapped at anyone. She was already potty trained when we got her at 6 months old, and she walks great on a leash. She loves cats and most other dogs. We have run across a handful of dogs at the vet's office that she's been a little leery of, but it might be because they were a lot bigger than she is.

The only mischief she's been in was to figure out how to unzip DH's lunch cooler and she got into a bag of trash once, but it really was our fault for accidentally leaving them accessible to her. She smelled yummy goodies, and temporarily forgot her manners. ;)

DH knew I wanted to adopt a dog, but he originally didn't want a Chihuahua because of their reputation. A friend told me about Kaylee, and brought her by so we could meet each other. As soon as I saw her, I knew she was the one. :) DH happened to be at work at the time, but I sent him a text message and a picture of her. "Is that a Chihuahua?" "Uh, yeah, but you are going to Love her." He got home from work a little while later, with a slightly unhappy look on his face, fully expecting the new "ankle biter" to chew his legs up. Kaylee jumped right up in his lap and started loving on him. His unhappy face immediately disappeared. It didn't take 2 minutes for her to become more "his" dog than "mine"! LOL!

But anyway ...

There are some Chihuahuas out there that break the "typical Chihuahua" mold. Kaylee is truly a pleasure. :)

emt2004 02-01-2018 03:41 AM

Have two growing up,they were the sweetest dogs.Never had any problems with them.

sandy l 02-01-2018 04:11 AM

My brother and wife had two. Other than barking like crazy when someone came to their door, never had any problems with them.

Roxanne 02-01-2018 05:02 AM

Oh my goodness! Any dog, whether a tiny toy chihuahua or big strong pit bull, who nips at peoples heels is not trained. Blame the owner, not the dog. I happen to be in a family of chihuahua lovers. My mother and three sisters own them and they are all lovely male and female dogs.

lillybeck 02-01-2018 05:31 AM

I have a full blood one that is as sweet as can be and 2 that have full blood mothers. they sometimes can be barkers but they are full of love