Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Childhood Memories (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/childhood-memories-t197620.html)

LovingIzabella 08-14-2012 05:19 PM

Childhood Memories

1 Attachment(s)
Izabella and I were talking about her well loved pillow this evening and how the silk tag she loves to hold while sleeping, is on it's last leg. She said mommy can I still keep pillow if the tag falls off? I told her of course. I said in fact Mommy has her Leo which is equivalent to your pillow, from when mommy was a little girl. She then asked me to show her Leo so I did. She loved him. He kept my nightmares away as a child and he always brings fond memories when I see him. Even now when I have a bad day with my health issues I like him to be near.
So do any of you have anything from your childhood that warms your heart?
Hugs
April

Diannia 08-15-2012 08:39 AM

Yes! I had a Tiny Thumbalina doll. She has been well loved. All she has left of her hair is a mohawk where it was sewn in. Her lower arms and legs are hard plastic and her body is cloth...needless to say they are splitting apart so what did I do as a child? Why put bandaids on her of course! I want to take her to the doll hospital and get her fixed up...thanks for reminding me! Oh and I still like to rub on silk if I'm upset or having trouble sleeping (thanks to those blankets with silk binding...)

Diannia

Jan in VA 08-15-2012 04:40 PM

Oh, April, a bubble of love and compassion rose up in my chest when I saw your Leo. :)
I didn't have such a thing when I was a child, but then, I was very lonely and stressed from early childhood through early adulthood; perhaps it would have been different if I had had 'someone' like Leo to love and comfort me. Both my girls had a 'lovey', thankfully.

Jan in VA

Rose Marie 08-16-2012 05:04 AM

My granddaughter has always had a lovey quilt. She wears them out completely. I have to make a new one when each one wears out. She is in her 20's now and still carries her lovey with her, not as much as when a child. The last one was swiss cheese by the time I made a new one for her.

butterflies5518 08-16-2012 06:16 AM

My DD always had to have the corner of a pillowcase or blanket between her fingers to sleep. Recently I got a hug of appreciation when I made her the "perfect" new pillowcase (she's 33). Her son does the same thing.

Caswews 08-16-2012 06:32 AM

I had a rag doll with a china head, arms, legs that my grandmother made me .. until the muslin fell apart .. sigh ..I would love to find a pattern for that one- doll heads included- and make them for my grands ..

Jothesewer 08-16-2012 01:32 PM

Check on line for parts and patterns for dolls, there should be parts available
Jothesewer

crtwelvecats 08-16-2012 01:34 PM

i had the bunny that my dad bought me when he saw me for the first time . i was one and he was returning from korea. I lived with my grandma so when i was 7 he came and got me. while with him I recievedthe first and last thing from my bio-mom. it was a pink bunny. I always kept them together in my room. i finally parted with them in 2000. the pink bunny was 38, and the other one was 45. not sure why i decided to part with them but sometime i glance at the bed and think of them.

cherrio 08-16-2012 04:13 PM

no, I would have but after I had a near fatal car accident at 21, I lost my memory. My family felt it was hard on me trying to remember all the "stuff" in my room so it all disappeared. sigh. so, I see pictures and ask questions. Sometimes one of my brothers even has an answer! haha

burchquilts 08-17-2012 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Diannia (Post 5442273)
Yes! I had a Tiny Thumbalina doll. She has been well loved. All she has left of her hair is a mohawk where it was sewn in. Her lower arms and legs are hard plastic and her body is cloth...needless to say they are splitting apart so what did I do as a child? Why put bandaids on her of course! I want to take her to the doll hospital and get her fixed up...thanks for reminding me! Oh and I still like to rub on silk if I'm upset or having trouble sleeping (thanks to those blankets with silk binding...)

Diannia

I had a Thumbalina dolly, too! I wonder where so is? I loved her!

As for the silk edgings on blankets, my niece latched onto a pair of my SIL's panties (that she had just bought -- never worn) & that was her lovey! She called them her "silky".