Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Children's irons - 55+ years ago - does anyone remember..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/childrens-irons-55-years-ago-does-anyone-remember-t199057.html)

JudyTheSewer 08-29-2012 07:02 PM

Children's irons - 55+ years ago - does anyone remember.....

I just had a dim memory of something I haven't thought of in decades. When I was 4 or so I had a small, child sized ironing board and a toy iron that I would plug into an actual electric outlet! The sole of the iron just heated up to a warm temp that did not hurt my skin. I did like playing with it. I liked having "teas" and doing housework back then!!! Does anyone else remember having one of these irons?

lynnie 08-29-2012 07:04 PM

I had one when i was about 4, back in 1963.
it was pink and so was the board. I tell people and thhey thbk i crazy

Jan in VA 08-29-2012 07:05 PM

Yes, I remember; also an oven that baked. And according to today's protect-us-from-ourselves standards, we should all have been dead! Maybe we were just the survival of the fittest.:D

Jan in VA

Rubesgirl 08-29-2012 07:16 PM

I had one, too! It was red and I'd iron with my Nana when I was at her house; she'd let me iron her handkerchiefs. I haven't thought of it in more years than I care to admit! I remember my tea set that was miniature real china with a rose pattern. :)

kay carlson 08-29-2012 07:25 PM

I have two toy irons from my childhood. My paternal grandfather had great carpentry skills, among other skills, and made me a little ironing board out of wood. It was adjustable in height. My mother made the cover for the ironing board and I, too, used to iron hankies. That was in the days of sprinkling clothing with water, rolling the item up, and storing it in the refrigerator if you couldn't finish ironing everything. You certainly didn't want the material to become mildewed. Oh! I haven't thought of that in years............................

BETTY62 08-29-2012 08:57 PM

I remember havig the ironing board but can't remember having the iron. I also remember having a small broom and dust pan and a mop with a mop with a mop bucket. Do they still make toys like these for kids today?

kjdavis4 08-29-2012 10:43 PM

I remember having an iron like that. It was pink and so was the ironing board. Wow hadn't thought of that in a very long time. Thanks for the memory!!

QuiltnNan 08-30-2012 02:13 AM

i had one, too. it was a skill to be taught early, like other household tasks. glad i learned it all. my grandkids asked me one day what that was... my iron sitting in the sewing room :) . my DD does not even own an iron LOL

barri1 08-30-2012 02:48 AM

I was one of those less fortunate ones, and never had an iron. I wonder if that is the reason I don't iron well, and have no desire to. I don't own an ironing board. I don't iron my clothes.

ShowMama 08-30-2012 06:26 AM

Yes, I had one of those sets too and played with it often. But by the time I was 6 I had graduated to the big iron and board. I would iron my dad's handkerchiefs and the pillow cases.