Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Choosing a new TV - what is the difference between LED and LCD? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/choosing-new-tv-what-difference-between-led-lcd-t222391.html)

Central Ohio Quilter 05-27-2013 07:08 PM

Choosing a new TV - what is the difference between LED and LCD?

Our 20 year old television (a old boxy TV) seems about ready to bite the dust. Once in a while the picture shrinks down to a straight line across the screen.

I think we will have to shopping for a new set very soon!

We have not bought a TV in 20 years and have no idea what the difference is between LCD and LED televisions. I have found charts on the Internet telling the difference, but they were not of much help.

Can anyone tell me in real layperson's words how to choose between a LED and a LED television?

Thanks!

tessagin 05-27-2013 07:17 PM

I just know that in the past 20 years I think we've purchased 2 and they cost more than I ever wanted to pay for a TV. I always have a budget. I'm all for nothing bigger than ugh, I can't even tell you how big ours is. it's a Vizio (?). I know it took me a while to get used to it. Felt like the darn thing was sitting in my lap. I was watching it tonight and thinking back to when I spent the night at my grandmothers and she would try to help me embroidery or sew small pieces of fabric. I don't think I'd miss it that much. OOPS! LED VS LCD? Sorry not sure!

SavedByGrace 05-27-2013 07:26 PM

We went through that process a year or two ago, and I found a perfect solution........defer to husband. Found myself frequently saying, "Whatever you decide will be fine."....and surprisingly enough, meaning it. He did all the homework and made the choice for us. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it was worked for us. Good luck! :)

Central Ohio Quilter 05-27-2013 07:31 PM

Had to laugh, SavedByGrace! That is just what my husband says to me! He says, "Get whatever one you want!" It is up to me to do the research! DH is VERY non-techie!

Jan in VA 05-27-2013 08:03 PM

Do your research online, google "customer reviews".
I'm telling ya, it's a pain in the patootie to replace a favored "older" TV these days. I bought and returned 3 of them a year ago over a three month period of time and finally just put my "fat" TV back on the table and gave up. It still has better sound and picture than any of the 3 I tried out. :hunf:

Jan in VA

quiltingcandy 05-27-2013 08:16 PM

My husband also buys the TV - he is the one that cares for all the bells and whistles. I just want to be able to watch what I want, he wants to hook it up to the stereo for the sound and use the blue-ray disc player. Oh and it has to be larger than our daughter's. So our TV room is a movie theater. My Sewing room has an old style TV with a built in DVD player and a VHS machine connected to it, my husband walks in once and while and just shakes his head, to him the picture isn't clear enough. I don't care - I have it on for company, I am too busy sewing.

Prism99 05-27-2013 08:46 PM

LED gives better picture reliability but is more expensive. LCD is fine for most people.

Prism99 05-27-2013 09:28 PM

Here is a summary that compares LED and LCD tv's:
http://www.squidoo.com/which-is-better-lcd-or-led-tv

I should mention that we have invested in LED computer monitors at home since we are on the computers a lot. We have an older bigger screen tv, but purchased a small LCD Vizio for the computer room that works fine for our purposes. If we were going to get a large screen tv, we might look harder for an LED.

CookyIN 05-28-2013 02:00 AM

I'm no expert by far but bought a new TV several years ago and researched heavily. I discovered that I wanted an LED edge lit with 1080p and 240Hz. I really think the last two points are more important than LED vs LCD which indicate how the screen is lit. 1080p is the picture resolution (like your computer screen) and 240Hz is the rate at which the picture refreshes. You'll notice the refreshment rate when you watch something move quickly across the screen. If the Hz is lower, you'll probably notice a blurring or ghosting effect.

I'm not a TV junkie (I get less than 15 channels over the air with an antenna) but do enjoy a crisp, good picture when I do watch. I ended up with an LG and have been very happy with it. Hope this helps; good luck with your search!

Sandygirl 05-28-2013 02:45 AM

You also ave to consider the size of the room that it goes in and how close you sit to it. Lots of shopping guides and tips online and in stores. Read the reviews as mentioned. Ask the staff after you have done YOUR homework. Look at the pictures in the store. Find a TV that has the picture you like.

My 32" Toshiba "fat back" TV is still running strong after 13 years but one of these days.....I want a TV with a life like picture. Not a large TV that takes up the wall. In fact...I love the slimmer sizes. I don't need 60" screens.

I shop Walmart....they have plenty of options to confuse me! LOL! Why drive 45 minutes to shop in the big box stores. I live rural.

Sandy