Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Chosen Career (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/chosen-career-t293747.html)

cashs_mom 01-05-2018 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7975093)
what a beautiful cat!!!!

i fell thru the cracks at my high school. no guidance in professions at my school for me.
i wanted to be a sewing teacher, but my parents did not encourage me to go to college at all.

I did, too, Lynnie. My parents were so worried about my drug addict brother and what he was going to do that they didn't have much time for what I was going to do. The attitude was that I would probably just get married so it didn't matter.

I ended up doing the books for our company which was sort of an accident (starting the company that is) and it turns out, I'm really good at it. I probably never would have known that I'm good at bookkeeping and really like it.

cashs_mom 01-05-2018 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 7975970)
In high school, I fell in love with Drafting class. I took two classes a semester cause it was something I could understand.
Then I got pregnant at 16 and life changed. Dad told me one day that I would be a welfare mom the rest of my life.
To prove him wrong I started my own business at 17 and never looked back.

So what kind of business did you start? I mostly ask because my husband is a draftsman and we've had a drafting business for 30 years now.

kjdavis4 01-06-2018 01:56 PM

I read a book about a young girl with cerebral palsy when I was in 7th grade. I decided then I wanted to become a physical therapist. First one of my family to attend college, finished with my PT degree. Worked for 30 years, mostly with pediatrics. Loved the work, miss the children, but am enjoying retirement.

Maggie_Sue 01-06-2018 08:35 PM

I retired from Nursing after 51 years as an LPN. Worked in a mental Hospital for 8 years, then in a NH for 7 years and the last 36 years in a medical clinic. The last ten years in the Behavioral Health department, ending where I started. I enjoyed my career and I had wanted to be a teacher or an RN, there were no Pell Grants in those days, so I went to school to be an LPN. I have been retired for 4 months and two days, I miss my boss and co-workers but have been finding retirement enjoyable. I will be taking a vacation to Florida the end of February and I am looking forward to that!!!

Stitchnripper 01-09-2018 06:14 AM

What an interesting thread! We are a talented and diverse group, aren't we? I graduated high school in 1961. I have two younger brothers. It was assumed they would go to college. It was assumed I would either be a teacher or secretary and then get married so a husband would support me. I really only ever wanted to get married and have babies. Some of my friends went to teachers college and talked about tenure and then having babies. I guess I was too timid to try that and my parents didn't stand in my way, just never thought to help me. It wasn't unusual back then where I was from. I was in the college prep track in high school for some reason. Anyway, one of my friends found a medical secretarial school and so I decided to do that. It was relatively inexpensive and my parents could afford it. Better yet, it was a bus ride away, and just from september to June. I think it was just one year. Can't remember. We had to wear white uniforms and shoes. I loved that. Made everything easy. I learned to type and to take shorthand and business etiquette. It really was a ramshackle place but our instructor was good. After I graduated I immediately got a job in a law office. I loved all of that. Typing and shorthand went a lot of places in an office setting back then. I did get married to someone who became a doctor and thought, well, I'll work til I have kids and he is through school. All that happened, and then after 11 years he ran off with the nurse. we were living near a university and my best friend took me to register for first semester freshman classes. I was miserable - it was just a few months after he left. I had no idea what I was going to do with my life. Luckily he paid alimony and child support. I moved out of the house to an apartment and the next door neighbor moved to town to go to social work school at said university. The more she talked about it, the more it appealed to me. So I headed in that direction. After one class of group intervention I realized that wasn't for me and switched to Research/Administration/Policy. Loved it. Got a job with the state and back then the benefits were great. I'm retired on that pension. But, the message I tell young women, is don't depend on a partner/spouse for your permanent support because a lot of things can happen. Divorce, death, illness, etc. In today's world, more women have various educations, whether college, trade, self taught, etc. I was happy in my career all those years. I was only in 3 different agencies over the years and then ended up the last years at the same social work school in the research department. I guess I couldn't have appreciated the education back straight out of high school. I think young kids are being encouraged to "declare a major" in high school and their brains aren't even done developing. Unless someone has a passion or a strong interest, I think it is unfair to try and make them decide so early. But, that is my one opinion. Good thread.

NZquilter 01-10-2018 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 7976143)
..... So is into 2nd year of 3 yr apprenticeship program for low voltage (fiber optics) electrical work with IBEW. He's happy!

Wow, how cool is that! My DH is in his fourth year in a 5 year apprenticeship program for the IBEW too!! He is in the commercial/ industrial field though.

Chasing Hawk 01-11-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 7977540)
So what kind of business did you start? I mostly ask because my husband is a draftsman and we've had a drafting business for 30 years now.

An upholstery business. I did the sewing at first the upholstery later on. My 1st husband taught me how to sew and upholstery.

After he was born, my son became first priority. I had to make a living and college was out of the question at that time. I did finish high school though...they stuck me in an alternative school. The reasoning was.....the "good girls" might "catch" something.......LOL

Sandra-P 01-11-2018 10:49 AM

Hawk, too funny, and I have to say I dont think there were any "good" girls in my time, just those that didnt get caught. When I go back for our class reunions ( I get invited and go every ten years even though I didnt graduate with them) I am amazed at how some of us managed to really do well in our life despite having challenges. I had a rough childhood, in 3 different foster homes and wanted badly to get away. I look back now and just have to wonder how we, and I mean you, me and all the other responses from people on this thread did it. Pell grants paid for tuition only, the rest I did with scholarships, and I applied for every one that was available to me. One time there was one for $200 and I got it because nobody else bothered. I volunteered on our ambulance, my phone had a special ring that would alert me if it was a call from somebody needing help. I would get to the fire dept and have my kiddos in the car and there would be one or two of the wives of the volunteers there who would take them for me while I went out on the call. It was a small close knit community, Darrington Washington and everyone knew everyone. When I started this thread I had no idea that so many of you that responded were such incredible people. Big hugs to all of you. I already look at all of you through different eyes knowing what you have accomplished. And you quilt too!

Macybaby 01-11-2018 11:27 AM

I had been sewing since I was five, and my first jobs were sewing related (alterations shop, custom drapery factory, jacket factory) and I got involved doing custom sewing for a lady that was selling lingerie on the Party Plan. She went out of business, but I started doing some on my own. It never did a whole lot, but in the process I discovered I really liked the book work involved. My DH lost his job and I took a job doing hand sewing in a medical prothesis factory. When they had to cut back, I was laid off and then went to work in the drapery place. I realized there were women who had been working there for years, not making a whole lot more than I was - and realized that sewing would probably not be a a very lucrative career.

So I decided to go back to school, got a 2 year degree in Accounting, then learned about the CMA (Certified Managerial Accountant - had no interest in public accounting) and needed a 4 year degree and went back and got a 4 year in Finance (and a minor in mathematics). I did very little sewing for many, many years, and started up again after the kids both went off to college. Now I spend a lot of time sewing for relaxation, and love it as much as I did when I first started. BTW - 30 years later, my current title is "Director of Finance" and I do get to hang my quilts in the Accounting office to show off.

SusieQOH 01-14-2018 06:19 AM

Chasing Hawk, your comment reminded me of my high school Catholic education- a lot of the girls were pregnant when they graduated! They tried to keep us away from the boys but it didn't work too well lol