Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Christmas Break From School (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/christmas-break-school-t209303.html)

EllieGirl 12-26-2012 10:59 AM

Christmas Break From School

I taught school for 37 years. Even when my kids were little I loved Christmas break. Living in Iowa meant cold and snow ans my kids had snow suits and went outside everyday. We always kept busy.

Now, I'm 60 years old and taking care of my four year old and 21 month old grandsons while my daughter works 12-13 hours a day as a critical care nurse. I'm exhausted and it's only 1:00!!! She won't be home until 8:00 tonight! I'm going to be completely wiped out by the time the four year old goes back to school January 8!!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-26-2012 12:16 PM

My mom used to get my kids to lay down in the afternoon by "hiding" from Grandpa. Lots of time when they hid under the covers they fell asleep and so did she.

quiltingme 12-26-2012 12:53 PM

I can relate - our grands are 5 and 2 and naptime for the little one is good - usually the older one will pay on the computer games or watch a dvd while eating a snack, then when they are both up and at 'em again, it is nearly time for dinner!

Geri B 12-28-2012 05:50 AM

I too watch "little ones" for family member.....let us hope that when "our" time comes when we need to be "watched", they will be as kind and generous to us.

coopah 12-28-2012 05:59 AM

I used the term 'quiet time' for my boys. They had to stay in their rooms, but were allowed to look at books. The oldest always fell asleep, but the youngest quit naps at 1 1/2! But Mom needed a break as Dad was usually out in the middle of the ocean somewhere! Oh, and they became early readers!

KarenR 12-28-2012 06:05 AM

You are terrific to take care of them. Keep up the good work.

They must miss mom when she works those long hours.

marymay 12-28-2012 06:15 AM

AMEN!!!! God will Bless you. I am 65 and have my friends 2 little ones (5 yrs and 10 months)for 2 weeks. Lord I am tried. I feel your pain.

LenaBeena 12-28-2012 03:49 PM

I can certainly relate. I also taught for 38 years in 7 states (Air Force and railroads) and remember Christmas Break fondly! Just returned from visiting our daughter, son-in-law and two year-old grand daughter. Oh the energy level of little ones! Her favorite word is "No", she likes to put the cat food in the bathtub, hide the TV remote under the Christmas tree, and sing and dance. But not sleep. For church Christmas program she was a "little lamb" with two little boys her age. They weren't much at acting like sheep, but sure cute in their fuzzy costumes. When Grandma was to get up from sitting on the floor playing with her it sometimes took Grandma (me) a bit. She said I was "stuck". God loves them and so do we :)

grannie cheechee 12-28-2012 04:57 PM

I can relate with you. I've been taking care of a little guy for 2 years now. Not every day, but he knows that after
he eats lunch its time for everybody to take a nap. He makes sure that "PawPaw" is in bed, I'm on the sofa, and he's
on the love seat. My husband says if I come home with anymore babies, he's leaving.LOL When they start to walk around they follow him through the house and the yard. Really he gets a kick out of it. We don't like little babies in
day care right away. Just us.

MisDixie 12-28-2012 04:59 PM

I am on Christmas break, work in a grade one class, and I went out one afternoon to watch a friends day care. Took me 2 days to recover! LOL