Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Christmas deco for outside help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/christmas-deco-outside-help-t234496.html)

madamekelly 11-12-2013 11:47 AM

Make your own inexpensive ornaments from Elmer's type glue, and crochet string or cheese cloth and a balloon. inflate balloon, dip string or cheese cloth into 75% glue/ 25% water (can be colored with food coloring) and drape or wind around balloon. Allow to dry completely, and hang up, or pop balloon and hang in trees for a lacy look. If you want them to be re useable year to year, use modpodge instead of school glue.

QuiltE 11-12-2013 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 6401270)
Make your own inexpensive ornaments from Elmer's type glue, and crochet string or cheese cloth and a balloon. inflate balloon, dip string or cheese cloth into 75% glue/ 25% water (can be colored with food coloring) and drape or wind around balloon. Allow to dry completely, and hang up, or pop balloon and hang in trees for a lacy look. If you want them to be re useable year to year, use modpodge instead of school glue.

Would they not disintegrate with the weather?

madamekelly 11-12-2013 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6401296)
Would they not disintegrate with the weather?

I forgot to say to spray them with clear acrylic spray and allow to dry so they last the season. Sorry.

Peckish 11-12-2013 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 6401311)
I forgot to say to spray them with clear acrylic spray and allow to dry so they last the season. Sorry.

Thank you for clarifying. I was wondering the exact same thing.

Here's a funny story: My family (husband and two boys ages 7 and 13) made these a few years ago as our annual homemade Christmas tree ornaments. I used Elmer's, balloons, and ultra-fine glitter. I had taken great care to spread newspaper out on the table to catch the glitter mess from my two boys, but had totally discounted my husband. The glitter wasn't sticking very well to the balls, so I brought out some Elmer's spray glue to use instead. My husband turned AWAY from the table and sprayed out over the floor. So then I had a sticky floor. On his way back around to the table, he knocked over a couple of tubes of the glitter, which he had neglected to put back on top of the newspaper. Instead of wiping the glitter onto a sheet of paper, he simply wiped it onto the floor. So for several months I had a very sparkly, pretty floor. When I told my friend Cindi about this incident, she cracked up and told me "When you said 'glue and glitter' in the same sentence, I figured Bart Simpson would be making an appearance. But noooo, it was all Homer!!"

At the time I was really annoyed, but now it's just a funny story that I love to tell. Her "Homer" comment put it over the top for me.

RugosaB 11-12-2013 06:47 PM

Years ago, I saw in a magazine, a house with decorated evergreens. The decorations were large lollipops. I didn't read the directions, but I bet a CD, covered with Christmasy fabric, and clear cellophane would work

lclang 11-13-2013 05:32 AM

Big round tumbleweeks laced with tiny Christmas lights are a big hit in Nebraska.

carolstickelmaier 11-13-2013 05:57 AM

You know, if I lived there I would probably be at the top of the list with those decorations! Unfortunately there are no tumbleweeds where I live. Neat idea though.

Originally Posted by lclang (Post 6402300)
Big round tumbleweeks laced with tiny Christmas lights are a big hit in Nebraska.

solstice3 11-13-2013 11:43 AM

this might sound lame but how about some holiday plates and cups. (round plates = balls and cups = bells if hung upside down) If displayed at a distance you might pull it off!

carolstickelmaier 11-13-2013 02:35 PM

Not a bad idea. I can see using the clear colored glasses as bells. Maybe even placed over a light to make it shine. Good One, Solstice3!

madamekelly 11-13-2013 09:33 PM

This year we are going to decorate our baby Douglas fir for the first time. (he showed up in my yard one spring, so we moved him to a better location, and it will eventually be our outside tree) This year our little tree (Willy by name) Is 18 inches tall, so he get his first plastic ornaments this year. Willy will never wear tinsel though, it killed one of my feline fur kids years ago, so none for us! Happy holidays to all of you.