Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cleaning a Black Stove Top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cleaning-black-stove-top-t281630.html)

LavenderBlue 08-25-2016 07:42 AM

Cleaning a Black Stove Top

Does anyone know if oven cleaner can safely be used on a black stove top (gas range) under the grates? I've tried soaking some baked on greasy areas with not much luck. Many thanks for any suggestions!

grandmaemma 08-25-2016 08:05 AM

I use Easy Off oven cleaner, fume free. Works great. I get the grates wet, then spray. Let them sit for a few minutes, then clean them off with a sponge/scrubby. I use the cleaner on the stove top itself also. Works great.

notmorecraft 08-25-2016 10:08 AM

I use my steam cleaner.

crafty pat 08-26-2016 09:20 AM

I let things like that soak in vinegar for an hour or more then scrub, even the worst usually comes clean.

Geri B 08-26-2016 10:47 AM

Do you mean the grates? I usually used the soap for the dishwasher....plug one side of sink, fill with soap and hot water, soak grates for 1 hr or more and usually with a scrubby gunk comes off easily........my stovetop is that cream beige color and I just keep that clean with damp cloth and a bit of powered or liquid comet.......

Painiacs 08-27-2016 05:01 AM

I use cut up pieces of magic erased to clean the top, any greasy pieces that can be attached, I use a bag bit enough to put them in and among a just soak for 30 min works great used on bbq grills too

tessagin 08-27-2016 05:14 AM

My stove top has the black grates and the black tray. I wash them weekly. If I have a real mess all of a sudden, I clean it immediately. I wipe my stove after every use. Also if you turn your stove top burners on high, it will burn off. You don't need them on for long. I also use the Mr. Clean eraser if I need too. If you have some really tough "holiday" bake on grease, just get some of the Dawn Resolve and spray it on. let it set for the time it takes you to clean the rest of the kitchen. Usually, it wipes off with the eraser. I have also switched to using microfiber rags for cleaning cars for dishcloths.
I also use the Dawn Resolve to wipe my oven Let it set for a few minutes then use the eraser or microfiber cloths to wipe it off.

NJ Quilter 08-27-2016 06:11 AM

I have a cream-colored gas stove with black grates. MIL had a black gas stove top that was a nightmare to keep clean. If the grates get really grimy, DH cleans them with a ceramic pumice stick (usually purchased at Walmart). Otherwise it's a routine damp wipe with a sponge. So glad I don't have black!

sewvicki 08-27-2016 07:00 AM

For light, every day cleaning of my black stove top, I use a microfiber cloth. Works great, and doesn't leave any streaks.

Painiacs 08-27-2016 07:07 AM

I cut up magic erasers and use those on top , any grates or removable pieces , my bbq grills I put in trash bag, zip lock , and add lemon amonia works to loosen stuff then dawn dish soap n scrub brush from dollar store