Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cleaning brushed nickel fixtures in bathroom (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cleaning-brushed-nickel-fixtures-bathroom-t262502.html)

Kitsie 03-13-2015 11:53 AM

Polident sure did work on my shower head! CLR, Lime-a-way, etc have not really done anything but I soaked over night and actually got wet this morning! Thanks Cactus Stitchin

madamekelly 03-13-2015 12:29 PM

You are right, use Windex, but buy a gallon of distilled water and use that every once in a while to help it shine. We quit using bar soap long ago, so no soap scum problems here, so I have no idea how to deal with that.

Misty's Mom 03-13-2015 12:57 PM

If at all possible, get a water softener and a water filter of some kind. We have never been sorry we got ours.

Suzy 03-13-2015 01:47 PM

Try WD 40 spray. Just spray it on let sit or a few minutes and most of the spots will wipe off. Go on line and type in what WD40 c
an do! It works .

Suzy

Barb in Louisiana 03-13-2015 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7124475)
LemiShine is AMAZING for cleaning up mineral buildup. I buy it in granule form at Walmart. Dissolves the minerals almost as you watch.

I am adding this to my shopping list too. I don't have a bad problem, but the shower heads do need a cleaning. I thought I had tried everything out there, but I had never heard of this product. Is it available in the grocery area, or the hardware at WM?

coopah 03-13-2015 05:32 PM

LemiShine is in the dishwashing area of WalMart.

coopah 03-13-2015 05:37 PM

I think it may have been here I learned of the dryer sheet for stubborn baked foods on pans or baking dishes like after scalloped potatoes! All I can say is WOW it has made clean up a wonder, I find I don't have to leave it soak overnight, just a short time and it loosens baked on food.

I too use dryer sheets for cleaning my brushed nickel fixtures. I also use dryer sheets for cleaning adhesives from my iron sole plate. I just take a used dryer sheet or two and run a hot iron back and forth over the dryer sheet, no more of the expensive tube of chemical iron sole plate cleaner for me. Again a tip learned on this board, I'm sure.

I will be trying it to clean the base of fixtures per your suggestion! PLUS like the tip of using a used tissue box for storage.
[/QUOTE]

I hope the dryer sheets work for you! Thanks for the reminder about the iron sole plate cleaning. My new iron has a Teflon coated sole plate and is icky. Nothing has cleaned it...thanks for the reminder!

The used dryer sheets also work at cleaning fiberglass showers.

annette1952 03-14-2015 07:57 PM

I use vinegar on mine but I don't have brushed nickel. I think it should be fine though. I soak paper towel in the vinegar & lay the paper towel & vinegar on the spot I want to clean. Leave it about 1/2 hour & it looks like new again

Wildernessties 04-01-2015 11:10 AM

I made note of all the suggestions and have tried the vinegar first. That seemed to work very well for me. I appreciate all who took the time to respond. Thank you to everyone.