Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cleaning a computer keyboard (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cleaning-computer-keyboard-t196233.html)

ranger 07-31-2012 12:15 PM

Never heard of that but it sounds like a great thing to keep the keyboard clean.
Thanks.

burchquilts 07-31-2012 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by wendiq (Post 5408370)
I am surprised no one mentioned "canned air". I read about using this somewhere and it is wonderful. I slant the board when I spray and the crumbs all blow off. I also use my Swiffer to dust. Other than that, it's not very dirty.....

I use canned air (one of the greatest inventions of all time IMHO) on mine, too. Plus I just turn my lap top over & shake it. Mine gets so full of dog hair (like every other square inch of my house). I think I may take an alcohol towelette & wipe the keys down, too.

0tis 08-01-2012 06:03 AM

I have some giant tweezers (I think they are for applique?) anyway, when I am bored - I will use those tweezers to pick the bunnies out - I think I found a small cat in there (at least it seemed like it with all the hair) - you can really get under the key very well with this device - its amazing how much crud gets inside the keyboard.

sewsincere 08-01-2012 09:15 AM

My daughter works in IT department a large private collage and she told me to use 90% rubbing alchol and a q-tip to clean around keys. Takes awhile to clean it, but it works really well.

misseva 08-01-2012 10:00 AM

I used canned air on my old keyboard and it left a greasy 'film' that attracts dust. On my new keyboard I just turn it upside down and give it a good tap on my desk and use my Swiffer duster.

CAS49OR 08-01-2012 12:17 PM

I always use rubbing alcohol to clean the keys. I don't have many crumbs since I dislike eating while typing. I have a remote keyboard so I take the batteries out of it. On my laptop I unplug it and take the battery out.

I have an issue with my laptop, I think I've cleaned it too often, it's like the pads are dry beneath the keys, they get stuck and "click" now, and they do not pop off like PC keyboard keys. I'm wondering if there is a way to lubricate them, like contact cleaner + silicone spray or something?

CAS49OR 08-01-2012 12:19 PM

I also got smart and bought a keyboard cover on ebay. It makes the keyboard on my laptop "softer" and easier to use, and I don't have to clean it as much. I just spray the cover with vinegar and baking soda, let it sit for a while, rinse it and let it dry.

I mean I take it off the laptop and wash it, both sides.

Ramona Byrd 08-01-2012 05:08 PM

Cleaning Computer Keyboard

Originally Posted by ranger (Post 5405976)
Hi.
How do you clean your keyboard?
Mine seems to always have dust on the keys and in all the little crevices.

------------------------------------------------
Mine always has my white Himalayan cat fur in it, masses of it since she walks across the keyboard
and cries because I'm neglecting her. So I use a slightly curved eye lash brush which cleans it out nicely.
And horrifies me at how much she is shedding, but she hates to be brushed.

For further cleaning I use a plastic handled gum brush that really does clean out the remainder, even
after using the lash brush.

Darn cat!!~If I didn't love her so much I'd...well, not much I guess. Just keep on cleaning the keyboard.
Might even get a plastic cover for it, but she never goes near it till I'm on the computer.

ranger 08-02-2012 07:33 AM

Thanks again for all the replies.
You've been very helpful.

CAS49OR 08-02-2012 12:35 PM

I actually found information on how to lubricate the sticky keys! I don't know if this works for PC keyboards or just laptops:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2107252_fix-...ptop-keys.html

Originally Posted by CAS49OR (Post 5411206)
I always use rubbing alcohol to clean the keys. I don't have many crumbs since I dislike eating while typing. I have a remote keyboard so I take the batteries out of it. On my laptop I unplug it and take the battery out.

I have an issue with my laptop, I think I've cleaned it too often, it's like the pads are dry beneath the keys, they get stuck and "click" now, and they do not pop off like PC keyboard keys. I'm wondering if there is a way to lubricate them, like contact cleaner + silicone spray or something?