Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cleaning silk flowers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cleaning-silk-flowers-t242868.html)

Geri B 03-11-2014 06:42 AM

I love the idea of fake flowers in hanging baskets outside! Did that last year after investing $$$$ in lovely hanging baskets that lasted about a month then died...I went to goodwill bought a lot of their artificial flowers and stuck them I the pots...lovely for the rest of the summer and now in garage waiting for this years debut! Silk flowers....really silk or the cloth feeling ones that are all over?

Caswews 03-11-2014 06:48 AM

I have some silk flowers that are so dusty .. now I know !! Thanks for the tips !!

Lady Diana 03-11-2014 06:49 AM

I use the JoAnns silk cleaning spray, the dust disappears with no wiping. I always do this outside due to whatever chemical is in it. I let it dry outside. That's it.

wendiq 03-11-2014 07:44 AM

I use the compressed air, too. There use to be a spray that you could buy that was made specifically for cleaning silk flowers. I got it in the Plant Section of JoAnn's. Have no idea if it's still available, but maybe....:)

Snooze2978 03-11-2014 08:02 AM

I put mine into the tub as I have a hand held sprayer. Worked for me and some of my silk flowers are over 20 years old. Yes, they're not sun faded as I keep them away from the windows. Sure beat cleaning each petal individually which I used to do. What a chore.

Rose Bagwell 03-11-2014 09:35 AM

I use Hair Spray, buy the cheap kind and spray away. Come out looking like new.

misseva 03-11-2014 10:57 AM

I have a rather large basket with greenery in it and I just set the whole thing in the tub and spray. Let sit a while to drip dry then wipe off the bottom of basket. I use silk flowers in flower arrangement on graves all the time. They're out in sun/wind/storms and seem to do ok for at least 6 months or more. So, a little gentle shower in the tub couldn't hurt them any more than that.

Mariah 03-11-2014 04:14 PM

Our daughter gave me a bottle of concentrated liquid which you put a small amount into a spray bottle and dilute. Shake well, and spray on the flowers and foliage. I just do it in the kitchen sink, let drip dry and voila! put back where you had displayed them.
If you have the flowers in a nice vase, I take them out and save my vase the chance the soapy water will mar it.
Mariah

FroggyinTexas 03-11-2014 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 6618011)
I do mine like Lori S. If they're really forty I spray them with a diluted cleaner, then rinse. I do it outside in the summer time so I can spray all the surfaces.

I have cleaned all kinds of artificial flowers the way Lori S. does, usually without adverse effects. I also try to do it in the summer because I can stand in the grass and water some of the spots the sprinkler system misses at the same time I'm cleaning the flowers. froggyintexas

nightquilter 03-11-2014 07:39 PM

I clean 20 houses in my spare time to send children to college so I use Windex, just spray dry plants leave a few minutes and use the kitchen faucet to wash off. Works great and never had any fade.